POSITION SUMMARY – Design and develop product for Dee Zee and its’ customers. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT— Must be willing and able to work in an environment exposed to elements that can include but are not limited to coolant, dust, mist, elevated noise, and uncontrolled temperatures.
- Understand and follow product development workflows to ensure product development meets all customer and internal requirements and expectations
- Aid in quotation phase of product development, supporting the requirements to develop Project Planning, Component Lists, Packaging requirements and considerations, Design Failure Modes and Effects Analysis, and identify any Special Characteristics.
- Understand, follow, support, and lead design activities during product development
- Utilize Computer Aided Design suites as required (customer driven or internal standards) to build the 3 Dimensional math data for product development
- Utilize Product Data Management (PDM) system to manage and comply with designated internal workflows and requirements throughout the development and product lifecycle.
- Build the 3D math data considering resource tools such as Core Design Failure Mode and Effect Analysis (DFMEA), and Design Checklist worksheets to ensure product design meets best practices and lessons learned so as product meets customer and internal requirements
- Create and / or review Core DFMEA’s, build upon with Lessons Learned and any new innovations to asses failure modes, and update DFMEA’s accordingly
- Utilize the Design Checklist to ensure all factors of product design are considered including but not limited to: Design Goals, Tolerancing and Stack-up, Material Selection, Failure Modes and Special Characteristics, Design Verification Plans, Design For Manufacturing, Packaging and Specifications.
- Communicate potential Special Characteristics identified in the DFMEA via Significant and Critical Characteristics Form process and ensure confirmed Special Characteristics are properly labeled / identified on supporting cascading documents (2D Drawings, PFMEA, Control Plan, etc)
- Create and maintain 2 Dimensional Specification Drawings based off the 3D math data, ensuring information required is added, such as Material Specifications, Customer Requirements, Internal Requirements, Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing, Special Characteristics, etc
- Utilize Computer Aided Engineering & Finite Element Analysis tools to pass the 3D math data through simulated conditions to evaluate the performance prior to any tooling kick off.
- Generate the Preliminary Bills of Materials, considering the initial Parts List, manufacturing steps and processes, quantities and usage, any new purchased components, etc. Approve the BOM through support departments such as Purchasing for new components, Process Engineering for production work flow, and Industrial Engineering for internal standards. Approved Preliminary BOM’s are passed on to Industrial Engineering for final approval and input into ERP systems.
- Initialize new part setup through Raw Material Setup form and process or New Buy Finished Good Setup form and process
- Utilize customer Design Verification Plans, or develop internal DVP when not available from customer
- Apply resources where necessary to satisfy the DVP, either in addressing testing requirements, obtaining test samples, conducting testing where / when possible, receiving and reporting test reports or the generation of test reports.
- When necessary, be able to develop Design Of Experiments to test the product, either as instructed by the customer or dictated by internal requirements
- Utilize cross functional teams both internal and external to ensure the product development cycle is followed and met, including but not limited to customer engineering, program management, supply chain, internal departments, and interested parties.
- Conduct Prototyping efforts through various means such as 3D printing, production resources, shop technicians, or supply chain.
- Aid / assist further activities during the product development cycle where needed
- Review, develop, and implement cost down / save opportunities following Change Order management
- Research for new innovations considering product improvements, process improvements, materials & coatings, market and segments, etc.
- Support / Lead special activities when assigned per management. May include design competitions, vehicle builds supporting trade shows, conceptual development, cost reduction, production optimization, etc.
- Maintain training requirements, fulfill training needs, and address any new opportunities for advanced training where applicable
- Ability to stop the production line and/or prevent shipment of products due to nonconformance or potential nonconformance products to our customers
- Other duties as assigned
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Ability to follow quality system standards
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Proficient computer skills
- Competent engineering skills
- Problem solving and critical thinking skills
Bachelor’s degree in mechanical or related engineering field required
Mechanical engineering or related experience preferred, such as internship or direct work experience in similar position
Must demonstrate computer literacy; understanding of CAD software
Certificates & Licenses:
Valid Driver’s License
Must be eligible to obtain a Passport