Tesla is accelerating the world’s transition to sustainable energy. The Chassis Design Engineering team plays a critical part in that mission, helping to deliver a safe, efficient, comfortable, and enjoyable driving experience, while also focusing on the sustainability and value of Tesla’s products.
This position is to support the launch of our vehicles for Gigafactory Texas. The engineer will support all Chassis subsystems and will work to ensure a fast and high quality start of production. The engineer will also lead efforts to bring on local suppliers for Chassis components for product improvement, savings, logistics improvements, and capacity expansion. Additionally, the engineer will engage in product development for current and future vehicles (specifically Brake/motor Integration), and provide a solid foundation for future vehicle engineering operations in Texas.
The Chassis Design Engineering team is responsible for tires, wheels, hubs, halfshafts, suspension, subframes, brakes, pedals/controls, and air suspension systems on all of Tesla’s passenger car and heavy vehicle programs. A Mechanical Design Engineer on the team is responsible for bringing those systems from concept to production and beyond with support from other engineering teams at Tesla.
The engineer’s responsibilities include design, analysis, sourcing, prototyping, testing, vehicle assembly validation, quality control, engineering documentation, and more. The engineer must possess and should be able to readily apply mechanical engineering fundamentals to creatively solve problems and is expected to learn quickly while managing their projects independently with minimal oversight. During the design process an emphasis is placed on We are looking for someone who will going beyond the status quo to make the best product in terms of cost, mass, and performance. The engineer must should be able to communicate clearly and effectively to both technical and non-technical colleagues. Hands-on experience is a major plus for engineering development work and addressing production issues. Some travel to suppliers may be required, including international travel.
The engineer must will work with Tesla teams and component suppliers in order to:
- Develop and optimize designs in 3D CAD software with associated CAE tools
- Validate manufacturing, assembly, and service feasibility
- Complete and release component designs and documentation, including 2D drawings
- Validate components per defined engineering requirements
- Resolve issues and concerns with cross-functional teams including engineering, supply chain, production, and service
- Participate in the sourcing process and manage engineering relationships with suppliers
- Deliver to defined schedules
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- Proficiency in a 3D CAD software (CATIA is a plus)
- Basic knowledge of GD&T (proficiency is a plus)
- Experience with component design, analysis, and validation (aluminum and steel part design and manufacturing processes is a plus)
- Great technical and interpersonal communication
- Evidence of being a self-starter and bringing projects to completion great finisher
- Prior experience in a relevant engineering field is valued, but the team has openings from entry level to expert
The Chassis team is comprised of engineers from many backgrounds and experience levels. You’ll work alongside experts with many years of experience, high aptitude recent graduates, and people from every stage in between. Collaboration, learning, and growth are core to the team’s success. We look for anyone with demonstrated exceptional ability to solve problems in both individual and team settings.
Tesla participates in the E-Verify Program