Brief Business Summary
DuPont Transportation and Industrial (T&I) business develops advanced polymeric engineering materials for use in automotive, industrial, and consumer applications. The Application Development and Technical Services (ADTS) group supports these customer application developments by providing direct engineering support and technical data.
The CAE/Design group consists of engineers, technologist, and technicians, who apply state-of-the-art computer modeling techniques and world-class mechanical testing to support customer applications with predictive material models and design guidance.
T&AP is seeking a creative FEA Specialist interested in 1) helping customers understand the influence of in-use mechanical loading on structural and functional components, 2) developing advanced material models using data collected from DuPont’s world class measurements labs, and 3) continuous personal development in related technology areas.
- Simulation – perform stress analysis on structural parts and develop understanding of processing simulation techniques and application of advanced material models for customer simulation support
- Advanced material modeling – develop isotropic and anisotropic material models on a variety of materials for static and complex loading scenarios such as thermo-mechanical, impact, vibration, creep, and fatigue
- Data processing – clean and convert raw data for material model calibration
- Integration with lab – develop an understanding of sample workflow and lab measurements from pellet to test data
- Translate results – effective communication across cross-functional teams or customers
Minimum Job Requirements
M.S. in Mechanical Engineering (or related field) or B.S in Mechanical Engineering plus 5 years of experience performing FEA structural analysis and material modeling with demonstrated ability in the following areas:
- Experience in structural analysis using commercial FEA tools, such as Abaqus (preferred), LS-Dyna, or Ansys
- Familiarity with discontinuous fiber-orientation effects on component behavior and multi-scale modeling software such as Digimat (preferred)
- Familiarity with polymer processing effects on component behavior and willingness to learn and attain certification in Moldflow within 3 years
- Familiarity with principles of designing with plastics and basic understanding of injection molding.
Modeling and Data Processing
o Strongly preferred:
- Familiarity with multi-scale material modeling for fiber-reinforced composites
Experience in multi-scale material modeling for fiber-reinforced composites (i.e. using Digimat)
- Strong background in MS Excel and familiarity with Matlab
- Familiarity with mechanical behavior of polymeric and elastomeric materials and behavior and anisotropic composite materials
- Familiarity with viscoelastic material behavior (creep, stress-relaxation, strain-rate and temperature dependence)
- Familiarity with failure mechanisms of materials
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate projects with cross-functional teams
- Demonstrated written and oral communications skills, including facility with MS Word and PowerPoint
- Demonstrated interpersonal and people development skills
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team member in a respectful manner in a diverse work environment
- Demonstrated ability to work in an orderly and timely manner
- NA-United States-Delaware-Wilmington
- Transportation & Industrial
- Bachelor's Degree (±16 years)