SSAB is one of the largest North American producers of steel plate and coil, serving many industrial markets including energy, construction, agriculture and transportation. SSAB operates five state of the art facilities strategically located in key regions across the U.S.
SSAB has nearly 1,200 highly skilled employees in the U.S. Jobs at SSAB range from machine operators and sales people to advanced engineers and corporate professionals in HR, finance and more. SSAB offers challenging careers and comprehensive benefit program designed to keep employees and their families healthy and secure.
I. POSITION PURPOSE
Conducts research and development projects in the areas of process improvement and modeling pertaining to continuous casting of steel slabs. Assists in the planning, execution and reporting of these projects. Responsible for analyzing and interpreting project results and recommending action
II. PRINCIPAL ACTIVITIES
- Conducts specific tasks on assigned projects or complete projects of limited scope
- Interprets data and makes recommendations to Operations or Commercial management with limited guidance from supervisor or team leader
- Interacts with plant operating and technical services personnel on project or technical service activities (planning, execution and reporting)
- Assists in the design, execution and reporting of product/process development or quality improvement trials
- Prepares clear and concise written and oral reports as required. May present
technical papers within and outside the company
- Provides technical direction and supervision to research technicians and/or coop students working on assigned projects
III. INCUMBENT ORGANIZATION STRUCTURE
This position reports to the Director, Research and Development. This is the entry-level position for an R&D Engineer with a Ph.D. degree and limited industry experience. In this role, the incumbent will supervise research technicians and/or coop students, and may receive guidance from a more experienced Research Staff member.
IV. EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Ph. D. degree in Metallurgical or Mechanical Engineering or a related discipline, or a B.S. or M. S. degree and experience at the Associate Research Engineer level
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Strong computer skills
- Strong analytical capability and problem solving skills
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment
Coop work experience in a manufacturing environment
SSAB's vision is a stronger, lighter and more sustainable world.
SSAB's values form the guiding principals of our company.
They shape our culture and characteristics. They serve as a compass for our actions and behavior, and describe what we stand for. Values guide us daily in making the right choices and doing the right things.
SSAB's values are:
- The customer's business in focus
- Taking responsibility
- Exceeding expectations