JOB SUMMARY - ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/DUTIES
The incumbent serves as the senior manager of a technically focused or administrative department or group and is responsible for the organization, tasking, prioritization and management of all projects and personnel within the enterprise. The incumbent leads the enterprise and directs and administers the programs of a technical and administrative nature to accomplish the functional task and overall development of the department. This person will also serve as a policy maker.
1. Establishes technical, administrative and procedural guidelines to meet the needs of the work unit/section in accordance with enterprise and customer requirements.
2. Manages the technical performance of work assigned to the department.
3. Maintains current operational status information and assessments on projects, budgets, and development plans.
4. Evaluates and makes adjustments in procedures or reassigns priorities to projects/tasks as needed to keep all activities on schedule and within budgetary limits.
5. Interviews potential new job candidates and makes decisions or recommends personnel actions such as hiring, discipline and termination.
6. Oversees and monitors unit compliance with QA and process improvement goals and standards.
7. Assures that appropriate training is provided to unit personnel to promote continuous improvement of services to the customer.
8. Interacts and coordinates with the customer on a personal basis as required to ensure that all customer requirements or agreements are being met to their satisfaction.
9. Periodically evaluates the performance of all subordinate supervisors and scientific or technical professionals under direction of the incumbent.
10. Performs a variety of other related managerial tasks as needed or as requested by the range manager or other senior managers.
Each employee must read, understand, and implement the general and specific operational, safety, quality, and environmental requirements of all plans, procedures, and policies pertaining to his/her job.
Typical office environment with no unusual hazards, occasional lifting (up to 30 pounds), constant sitting while using the computer terminal, constant use of sight abilities while reviewing documents, constant use of speech/hearing abilities for communication, constant mental alertness, must possess planning/organizing skills, and must be able to work under deadlines. Frequent travel to Company work sites is required.
REQUIREMENTS - EDUCATION, TECHNICAL AND WORK EXPERIENCE
Bachelors Degree (Masters preferred), or equivalent formal academic or technical training and experience, and possess an in-depth knowledge of the principles of advanced management obtained through formal or self study. Understands the operational philosophy and business nature of the company. Must be familiar with computer based management tools. Must have an in-depth working knowledge of related career fields such as technical trades or scientific and engineering professions and possess 15 years' experience in one of the related fields. Must have at least 5 years' experience in a managerial/supervisory role. Must be able to qualify for and maintain a government security clearance and possess a valid state issued driver's license.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of persons so classified.