This is a rare and exciting opportunity with a mining and chemical processing facility located 50 miles south of Las Vegas, NV. MP Materials owns and operates Mountain Pass, the only integrated Rare Earth mining and processing site in North America. Rare Earths power the modern economy. They are essential components in a wide range of industrial, clean energy and information technology applications. The MP Materials facilities are currently undergoing major and rapid expansion to meet growing global demand.
The Process Development Engineer will be in the Process Technology and Engineering Department and report directly to the Principal Engineer. play a key role in driving research projects aimed at improving and expanding the company’s rare earth processing capabilities. The Process Development Engineer collaborates with process development chemists, process engineers, supervisors, operators, and management in the development, design, implementation, startup, and optimization of various unit operations.
- Develop processes and products utilizing rare earth elements under the general direction of the Principle Engineer
- Perform research of existing technology, processes and products
- Explore new process technology and investigate its applicability in rare earth processing
- Conceive, assemble, and execute laboratory scale, pilot scale, and plant scale testing and experiments to produce conclusive outcomes
- Promote process safety and risk management, while participating in quality and environmental management systems
- Coordinate with manufacturing personnel on implementation of new processes
- Develop and communicate cost, benefit, and risk information on processes and products
- Participate in the Management of Change Process to implement process changes
- Perform laboratory or pilot scale test work as needed to investigate, troubleshoot, and improve operations
- Assist with process planning and development to ensure quality products and safe conditions
- Use project management techniques to schedule and track process development work
- Maintain safe work practices
- Complete any other tasks as needed or directed by management
- Minimum 5 years work experience in a Chemical, Mining, Petroleum or heavy industrial setting preferred
- Some experience in process and/or product development desirable
- Experience or knowledge of leaching, impurity separation, clarification, filtration, ion exchange, solvent extraction, precipitation, CSTRs, evaporation, crystallization,
drying, calcining, solids handling, scrubbers
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemical Engineering, Metallurgy or a related field. ABET accredited institution preferred.
- Valid Driver’s License and good driving record required are required to drive company vehicles on and off property.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written
- Ability to complete a task with minimal supervision
- Attention to detail and ability to learn new duties
- Ability to work in teams with strong collaboration skills
- Ability to work with people at all levels within the organization
- Ability to create, read and modify PFD’s and P&ID’s
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), statistical software, AutoCAD, and PI ProcessBook
- Ability to Travel as Needed
- Ability to write technical SOP’s
- Must thrive in a high stress start-up environment
- Must be able to meet critical deadlines
“MP MATERIALS IS PROUD TO BE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion,
sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
YOUR RIGHT TO WORK - In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity
and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification
document form upon hire.”