World Oil Refining has an exciting opportunity for a Petroleum Chemical / Process Engineer at its South Gate, CA facility. The successful candidate must have qualifications in Chemical Engineering, Process Engineering or Petroleum Engineering (Downstream), and have a minimum work experience of 3-5 years, preferably with exposure to oil refineries, process plants and other downstream operations. The ideal candidate is team-oriented, self-starter responsible for providing support to Operations and assisting on the quality assurance and refining economics functions to achieve maximum refinery safety, efficiency and economy. While a strong operational background is preferred, additional experience in consulting or professional services is favorable.
- Optimization and troubleshooting of daily refinery operations based on review of process data and evaluation of laboratory results
- Identify, monitor, and report on key performance indicators for process units
- Provide technical support needed to ensure facility compliance with environmental operating limits, participation in HAZOP studies, inspection and verification of process equipment during large scale unit maintenance events (includes work at heights and confined spaces), and participation & leadership of incident investigations
- Developing refinery improvement projects, from conception through start-up, to ensure viability of the refinery
- Support process control and compliance data systems from field device level to distributed control system and hardware components
- Utilize computer programs, such as HYSYS and heat exchanger rating programs, to identify inefficiencies, design new projects, and optimize unit operations
There are several main duties this position will perform. Those duties are listed below. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Assess any recommendations with the Refinery General Manager to reduce product quality give-away and optimize energy performance.
- Monitoring and compiling process and analyzer data packages for process improvements and required environmental reporting
- Follow up with the Refinery General Manager to ensure recommendations are made to optimize product volume, yield and quality, minimize operating costs and maximize unit reliability at planned throughput.
- Participate in daily operations review and follow upon the operations targets when/ as required by type of feed stock; chemical additives type/doses, water treatments, operations troubleshooting, etc.
- Identify unit and equipment operating limits (short and long term), assess equipment performance capabilities together with the Operations and Process managers.
- Utilize, maintain and develop monitoring tools of refinery process and equipment to aid process monitoring, troubleshooting and design.
- Seek opportunities to increase unit performance by developing engineering projects as required, develop field changes.
- Document plant tests and define optimum operation parameters based on results.
- Point of contact between process and laboratory needs.
- Review the design of the refinery upgrade projects and provide recommendations for improvements/ compliance.
- Monitor unit’s efficiency and performance and recommend means of improvements.
- B.S. Chemical Engineering or equivalent
- 3-5 years of experience in a chemical process environment (refinery, chemical process plant, etc.)
- Excellent communication, time management and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to interact well within a multidisciplinary team
- Willingness to spend time in the field is expected
- Demonstrated experience with engineering software applications
- Proficiency required with data acquisition systems, process control design and algorithms, and CEMS units
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
* * Refinery experience with direct experience in refinery unit operations
- Basic understanding of refining processes and economics
- Working knowledge with HYSIS, Pro2, PI or other software programs
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; bend; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include distance vision and peripheral vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions, extreme cold or extreme heat. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
It is the policy of World Oil to provide equal opportunity for all applicants and employees. The Company does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, medical condition or genetic characteristic, physical or mental disability, family care or medical leave status, military status, pregnancy, marital or domestic partner status, veteran status, or any other status protected by state or federal law.
Job Type: Full-time
- Refinery: 3 years (Preferred)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Dependable -- more reliable than spontaneous
- Detail-oriented -- would rather focus on the details of work than the bigger picture
- Achievement-oriented -- enjoys taking on challenges, even if they might fail
- Autonomous/Independent -- enjoys working with little direction
- Innovative -- prefers working in unconventional ways or on tasks that require creativity