The Network Engineer is responsible for maintaining the integrity of internal and external Alerus networks, including LAN, WAN, Firewall, and Voice environments. This role will provide technical assistance to team members with system and networking requests. This role will be responsible for testing and maintaining infrastructure in support of our business needs.
Job Function Number 1: Provide Technical Services and Support - 50%
- Monitor and troubleshoot outages for LAN/WAN connectivity, diagnose potential route, switch, and wireless issues.
- Configure additional rules and troubleshoot signal flow through the Cisco firewall.
- Ensure WebEx voice & video availability for end user by monitoring the server to make sure there is no hardware or software issues, diagnose and troubleshoot end user problems to satisfactory outcome.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Assist with updates and upgrades to new software versions including IOS/IOS-XE, Firepower Management Center, Firepower Threat Defense firewall, and Cisco voice infrastructure.
- Responsible for helpdesk tickets that are escalated to the Infrastructure team within the Network Engineers scope of responsibility.
- Develop processes and procedures that Technical Assistance Center can utilize to perform common tasks.
- Create end user guides and suggest improvements for frequently asked questions.
- Facilitate end user training or technical support and have the ability to travel to any Alerus Financial location.
Job Function Number 2: Performance Monitoring - 25%
- Monitor the health and security of the access switches, routers, wireless access points, wireless controllers, firewalls, and Cisco voice servers.
- Provide recommendations to improve end user experience based upon monitoring results.
- Verify network and voice devices are backed up per Alerus policies.
Job Function Number 3: Audit & Reporting - 25%
- Assist with internal and external audits by providing proof of network device backups, backup schedules, screenshots of monitoring or any other requested information.
- Provide network and voice utilization reports on a scheduled or ad-hoc basis to management.
- Remediate issues that are identified in a timely manner in accordance with Alerus standards.
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology or related field or equivalent work experience required.
- Minimum 3 years of Network Engineer experience in a majority of the following technologies: VPN/DMVPN, Routing Protocols (BGP, EIGRP, OSPF), VoIP, SIP Trunks, POTS, VLANs, Wireless (Cisco), Cisco Jabber/Spark, Cisco ISE & Firesight, CUCM/CUPS/CUC.
- Possess Cisco CCNA certification or have an established plan to attain professional accreditation(s) or equivalent advanced professional training i.e. CCNA Wireless, CCNA Security, CCNA Collaboration or CCNP.
- Demonstrated understanding of current industry concepts, technologies, practices, and procedures.
- Proven written and verbal communication skills.
- Analytical ability to determine appropriate actions and meet deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, team oriented and a collaborative work style.
- Adaptable, flexible, organized and able to multi-task, work independently.
- Comfortable interacting with various levels of management within the organization.
- Strong focus and desire to provide an excellent customer experience.
- Ability to prioritize work based on business and user requirements.
Physical Demands: (must be met with or without a reasonable accommodation)
- Extended periods of time sitting at a desk and using office equipment.
- Ability to operate a personal computer/laptop for approximately 8 hours per day.
- Extended time is spent reviewing physical and electronic documents.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
- Periodically, may also do light lifting of supplies and materials which weighs in at approximately 50 lbs.
- Will spend most of time in an indoor environment.
- Requires the routine & safe operation of a motor vehicle to travel between multiple locations to perform the essential functions of the job.
Alerus Financial is an Equal Opportunity Employer of women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Job Type: Full-time