- Presentation Skills
- Mechanical Knowledge
- Mechanical Engineering
- Project Leadership
- Professional Engineer
Please read this posting carefully to make certain you meet the qualification requirements before applying to this position.
Under the supervision of the Studio Leader, the selected candidate will perform difficult mechanical engineering tasks which require innovative and strategic approaches to helping the Authority meet its “Next Generation NYCHA” goals of keeping its aging infrastructure in a state of good repair. Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
1. Serve as a subject matter expert on projects of moderate technical complexity.
2. Prepare condition assessments and feasibility reports.
3. Prepare plans and specifications of varying complexity for all phases of design and construction document production using AutoCAD.
4. Coordinate with other design teams to establish and assure implementation of mechanical design standards for the Capital Program.
5. Perform project coordination and ensure completion of engineering tasks.
6. Conduct field visits including surveys in pre-design and design phases, inspections of projects under construction, and site visits for emergency projects.
7. Provide support during all phases of design and construction.
8. Support and help prepare cost estimates, track project schedules and ensure conformance to budgets and on-time submission delivery.
9. Provide bi-weekly project progress and status reports.
10. Review projects designed by consultants.
11. Represent the Design Department at interdepartmental meetings.
12. Serve as unit liaison on mechanical and plumbing engineering issues.
NOTE: This position is open to qualified persons with a disability who are eligible for the 55-a Program. Please indicate in your cover letter that you would like to be considered for the position under the 55-a Program. For detailed information regarding the 55-a Program, please visit the link below:
Minimum Qual Requirements
(1) Four (4) years of full-time, satisfactory experience in mechanical engineering work; and
(2) A valid New York State Professional Engineer’s License. Current New York State registration as a Professional Engineer must be maintained for the duration of your employment.
A masters degree in mechanical engineering from an accredited college or university, accredited by regional, national, professional or specialized agencies recognized as accrediting bodies by the U.S. Secretary of Education and by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) may be substituted for one year of the mechanical engineering experience required in “1" above.
In addition to above qualification requirements, to be eligible for placement in Assignment Levels II and III, individuals must have at least one year within the last three years of experience as a major contributor or a project leader on a complex project requiring additional and specific expertise in the disciplines needed to design or construct the project.
1. Excellent AutoCAD skills.
2. Knowledge of NYC Construction Codes, NYS Energy Code, NYC DEP requirements, FDNY, NFPA, and related applicable reference Codes and Standards.
3. Experience in mechanical and plumbing design for residential buildings including renovations and replacements of kitchens and bathrooms, heating plants, water tanks, plumbing and gas risers, and underground fire, water and steam lines.
4. Strong written, verbal and interpersonal skills.
5. Experience presenting solutions to project teams and clients.
6. LEED AP certification, knowledge of Enterprise Green Communities criteria, Passive House criteria, and other high-performance building standards.
7. Four (4) plus years creating contract packages of similar projects is a plus.
1. Candidates may be given a skills assessment as part of the interview process.
2. NYCHA employees applying for promotional, title or level change opportunities must have served a period of one year in their current title and level (if applicable).
Click the "Apply Now" button.
NYCHA has no residency requirements.