Edell, Shapiro & Finnan (“ESF”), an Intellectual Property Boutique, located in Gaithersburg, MD is seeking a full-time, Patent Engineer or Attorney (Electrical Engineer or Mechanical Engineer) to join the patent prosecution team.
We are a fast-growing, thriving, mid-sized IP firm that originated in the mid 80s. We are proud to boast a family-friendly culture, a casual dress code, and a very convenient commute to those living in the suburbs of Montgomery County. We prefer local candidates, as face time is part of the job, but technologically offer the ability to work from home when desired (we are in the office at the present time). Our ideal candidate has a few years of experience at a high-volume firm, and is looking for a quality of life adjustment. At ESF, we celebrate diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
We serve a diverse client base, which includes small start-up companies, academic institutions, and Fortune 500 companies having some of the world’s largest IP portfolios. This client base values our knowledge, experience, and commitment to their objectives. While we can certainly port in your book of business, this position is primarily to support the firm’s existing client workload capacity. Training will be provided to understand client expectations.
- Draft patent applications for U.S.-based and some non-U.S.-based companies. Meet in-person or virtually with inventors, discuss the technology, and draft patent applications. Understand a wide range of technologies, or be able to quickly get up to speed on technologies.
- Prosecute patent applications before the USPTO, including conducting examiner interviews, filing responses, appeals, etc.
- Instruct non-U.S.-based law firms in the prosecution of patent applications in various countries outside the U.S.
- Conduct patentability, infringement/clearance and validity studies, and related client counseling and opinion rendering.
- Participate in IPR proceedings at USPTO.
- Communicate with outside counsel in connection with all activities mentioned above.
- EE candidate will work in a wide range of technologies including wired and wireless networks and devices, wireless communication protocol technologies, media communication systems, network security, optical networks and devices, as well as medical electronic devices, and database systems.
- ME candidate will work in a wide range of technologies including consumer products, welding and cutting devices and systems, industrial equipment, and medical devices.
A successful applicant must possess:
- At least 2 years of substantial patent application drafting experience, particularly in the technology areas listed above;
- Registration as a U.S. patent attorney and knowledge of U.S. patent practice and procedures;
- J.D. degree from an accredited law school and a license to practice in at least one U.S. state (unless applying as Engineer/Agent);
- Excellent academic credentials;
- Strong writing, communication, organizational and analytical skills; and
- EE candidate must have undergraduate focus areas in electrical engineering, physics or computer science.
- ME candidate must have undergraduate degree or focus areas in mechanical engineering, civil engineering, industrial engineering, biomedical engineering, metallurgy, or material science
- Fully paid employee health insurance
- 401k matching
- Health Club Reimbursement
- Firm sponsored LTD/Life
- Employee Assistance Program
- Monthly wellness activities
- Complimentary Parking
- On-site café and walking access to Rio Restaurant District
To apply, please submit your resume, writing sample, and transcripts to Rebecca Reyes, Executive Director.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $59.00 - $72.00 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
Following CDC requirements.
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Gaithersburg, MD 20878: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Preferred)
- Do you have an undergraduate degree in one of the following: mechanical engineering, civil engineering, industrial engineering, biomedical engineering, metallurgy, or material science; or electrical engineering, physics or computer science?
- Patent law: 2 years (Preferred)
Work Location: One location