Shannon & Wilson’s Anchorage office provides clients with environmental and geotechnical engineering services. Anchorage’s field support personnel include environmental and geotechnical engineers, EITS, environmental scientists and geologists. Our projects take us to some of the most beautiful and rugged locations in Alaska. We offer varying exciting work assignments and a friendly work atmosphere. It’s one of the reasons most of our staff are long-term employees. With so many ways to build work relationships and give back to our community, staff in our Anchorage office enjoy a group summer BBQ, annual ski trip, Bike to Work celebrations, and attending career fairs. Anchorage is surrounded by exciting outdoor opportunities including camping, hiking, biking, fishing, skiing, golfing, scenic drives, glaciers, national parks and wildlife viewing. Also offering, a vibrant arts community, surrounded by many restaurants and shops, Anchorage is a gem.
- Comprehensive environmental consulting and/or engineering that includes planning, data assessment, reporting, overseeing field personnel, travel and field work, and/or sample collection.
- Perform Phase I, II, & III Environmental Site Assessments.
- Define scopes of service and prepare budgets and proposals.
- Review, evaluate, and interpret environmental data and prepare summary reports.
- Interact and communicate with clients, vendors, and staff at all levels in a professional manner.
- Support business development and marketing activities, including preparation of cost proposals and presentations to existing and prospective clients.
- Follow Shannon & Wilson’s Quality Assurance policy.
- Follow and promote Shannon & Wilson’s Health & Safety and Loss Prevention policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned by your supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in Geology, Hydrology, Civil, Chemical or Environmental Engineering, Chemistry, Biology, or other Natural Science; Master's Degree preferred.
- 7 to 14 years of experience
- 40-hour HAZWOPER training
- Knowledge of Alaska environmental regulations.
- Knowledge of RCRA, CERCLA, OSHA and other federal regulations.
- Experience sampling soil, groundwater, and other media at contaminated sites.
- Experience in hazardous waste and hazardous materials management.
- Experience with environmental remediation technologies.
- Experience on federal projects (HTRW, TERC, AFCEE, etc.).
- Travel and year-round field work, with working hours more than 40 per week and weekends as needed.
- Excellent writing, organizational, and communication skills required to effectively interact with clients and staff at all levels.
- Must be personable, flexible, and professional.
- Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Must be willing and able to travel and support the needs of other Shannon & Wilson offices.
- Must have and maintain a valid driver license and insurable driving record.
- Basic computer skills: MS Word, MS Excel required.
- This position requires critical thinking and analysis; frequent sitting, standing, walking, bending, and lifting and carrying 30+ pounds; working in all weather conditions; field visits per project needs; ability to travel (drive or fly) to other Shannon & Wilson offices and drive to and from job sites locally and out of state.
Other desirable skills and training based on previous experience:
- Advanced computer skills: Access, ArcGIS, AutoCAD.
- Experience with statistical analyses.
- Experience with fate and transport modeling.
- Experience with planning, logistics, and field work in remote locations.
- Experience preparing SPCC Plans and SWPPPs.
- Meet the requirements of an Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation Qualified Environmental Professional, as defined by 18 Alaska Administrative Code 75.333
Typically, depending on an applicant’s education, experience, other qualifications they possess, if they are a fit for the company and local office culture, and the current business needs, a Mid-Level Environmental Geologist/Engineer/Scientist typically would be placed at a Shannon & Wilson Senior Professional I, II, or III level.
Shannon & Wilson is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible schedule
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Vision insurance
- Temporarily due to COVID-19