The Senior Estimator/Pre-Construction Manager is responsible for the overall project estimate and responsible for providing leadership, training, and mentoring for their team. This position works closely with clients, architects/engineers, subcontractors/suppliers to plan cost factors for projects. The Senior Estimator analyzes construction documents, specifications, proposals, and other documentation and prepares time, cost, and labor estimates for projects.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares detailed estimates for all design stages, including; Conceptual, Schematic Design, Design Development, and Construction Documents.
- Ensures costs are up to date through assisting with maintaining the estimating cost data base.
- Manages the estimating team in the assembly and submission of bids
- Consults with clients, architects, subcontractors, and material supplies to discuss and formulate estimates, effect cost reductions, and resolve issues.
- Assists the operations team in planning procedures of starting times, completion times and staffing requirements for each phase of construction.
- Interprets construction documents and analyzes specifications to determine estimated costs.
- Collaborates with the operations team during the preconstruction process to review plans and specifications for constructability issues and determining general requirements on the project.
- Creates, maintains, and manages the preconstruction/design schedule for projects.
- Tracks and manages multiple preconstruction projects at once.
- Manages subcontractor prequalifications and assures that awarded subcontractors have the proper experience and financial capabilities to perform on the project.
- Reviews design documents for proper information to receive accurate pricing from subcontractors and suppliers, generates acceptable value engineering ideas, and prepares life-cycle costing
- Prepares quantity take-offs and estimates costs of materials, labor, and use of equipment required to fulfill all provisions of the contract.
- Collaborates with self-perform estimating team to determine the right trades to pursue with Baldwin’s own forces and assures that estimates are created with input from the operations team to determine accurate production rates, manpower availability, and general requirements.
- Holds project team accountable to ethical behavior during all stages of the estimating process and ensures they act with integrity.
- Assists with system analysis of building components and MEP Systems.
- Uses iSQFT or other solicitation programs to manage subcontractor solicitation process and assures that the proper team members are part of the approval process for all bid lists.
- Supervises and/or writes the specific and general instructions to bidders and required bid forms.
- Presents and explains project budgets to clients,designers, and operations teams.
- Administers buy-out process and hand off to the Operations Team.
- Collaborates with the preconstruction team to create final estimates to be given to the operations and accounting team for creation of project budgets.
- Familiarity / Proficiency with the following software or internet-based programs; BlueBeam, MSExcel, MSWord, MSProject (Scheduling), Revit, iSQFT
- B.S. degree in Civil or Architectural Engineering, Construction Management or equivalent field experience.
- Minimum of six (6) years commercial construction experience with a minimum of four (4) years of estimating experience.
- Capability to complete large CM/GC, CMaR, and Design Build projects and large, complex competitive bid projects
- Independent sales strengths for presentations and projects pursuits
- History of successfully working internally with the operational team and externally with Owners, Architects/Engineers, and subcontractors.
Baldwin General Contracting is an Oregon based, full-service contractor with broad experience serving both public – and private – sector clients. Baldwin General is one of the region’s most productive and respected providers of construction services, serving a wide array of markets in Oregon, Washington, and Idaho. We oversee projects from small tenant improvements to some of the area’s most recognizable architectural landmarks.
Job Type: Full-time
Job Type: Full-time
- Commercial Construction: 6 years (Required)
- Construction Estimating: 4 years (Required)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Team-oriented -- cooperative and collaborative
- People-oriented -- supportive and fairness-focused