Summary of Position
In response to the expansion of additive manufacturing technologies into new market segments in recent years, ASTM established the Additive Manufacturing Center of Excellence (AM CoE) in 2018. Through collaboration among industry, government, and academia, ASTM AM CoE addresses not only the need for accelerated standards development models to help qualify these growing markets but also the personnel training and certification programs needed for those now tasked with a more diverse set of responsibilities.
We are seeking an experienced additive manufacturing professional to serve as the Additive Manufacturing Project Engineer within ASTM AM CoE. The AM CoE conducts R&D projects in topic areas—including feedstock materials, AM processes, characterization, and post processing—that can lead to standards development. These projects are led by AM CoE partners in the US, UK, and APAC region. The Project Engineer will contribute to these AM CoE’s research and development (R&D) activities, primarily by supporting funded projects and ensuring timelines for key project deliverables are met.
Broadly, this role will administer the execution of AM R&D projects at ASTM AM CoE, while also coordinating with other AM CoE functions and programs such as education and workforce development, proficiency testing, standardization, and certification programs.
Specifically, the Project Engineer will:
- Support and coordinate R&D activities across regional AM CoE locations (US/EU/APAC)
- Track the progress of R&D projects, collect and analyze reports and other documentation relevant to the projects, and provide relevant feedback to project teams
- Establish appropriate project-execution procedures based on project objectives
- Understand and identify appropriate standards that support the execution of projects
- Track, maintain, and document all R&D deliverables
- Conduct technical presentations, as required
Please note that travel will be required for this position (up to 20%).
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering
- Demonstrated experience in additive manufacturing technologies
- Ability to plan and organize tasks to meet project timelines
- Project management experience
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Willing to learn and adapt with emerging technologies
- Proven ability to work in a team with good interpersonal skills
- Self-starter with exceptional attention to detail
- Technically motivated to solve problems and have the creativity to initiate new ideas
- Can-do attitude and independent decision-making abilities
- Passion for innovation, technology, and enterprise development
- Knowledge of different material standards and testing standards
- Proven record of analytical thinking and problem solving
- Master’s degree in engineering
- 5+ years or more of technical experience in additive manufacturing
- Demonstrated project management experience, including using project management tools to improve productivity
- Ability to communicate complex technical concepts effectively with all levels of management and translate them into meaningful project outcomes
- Knowledge of existing regulations and certification/licensing requirements
- Experience in standards development and participation in technical committees
About ASTM International
ASTM International is an international standards organization that develops and publishes voluntary consensus technical standards for a wide range of materials, products, systems, and services. Approximately 12,575 ASTM voluntary consensus standards operate globally. Defined and set by ASTM, these standards improve the lives of millions every day. Combined with our innovative business services, they enhance performance and help people around the world have confidence in the things they buy and use. The organization's headquarters is in West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania, about 5 mi (8.0 km) northwest of Philadelphia. Founded in 1898 as the American Section of the International Association for Testing Materials, ASTM International predates other standards organizations such as the BSI (1901), IEC (1906), DIN (1917), ANSI (1918), AFNOR (1926), and ISO (1947).
About ASTM AM CoE:
In March 2018, ASTM International—together with its partners Auburn University, NASA, and EWI—launched the ASTM AM CoE; they were quickly joined in May 2018 by the UK Manufacturing Technology Center (MTC), furthering the CoE’s international footprint and complementing its capabilities. In August 2018, NIAR joined the CoE as its first Strategic Partner. ASTM AM CoE’s founding partners’ mandate, in conjunction with various industrial partners, is to establish industry-specific additive manufacturing standardization, as well as qualification and certification practices, to accelerate and close standard gaps identified in the industry’s leading roadmaps (e.g., AMSC roadmap). Leveraging the resources of ASTM AM CoE, ASTM seeks to enhance and refine developed technologies by fostering new collaborations with industry and other government agencies. In tandem with these efforts, ASTM AM CoE also acts as a liaison between industry/government/academia and the standards development community to ensure that technologies are standardized to have the greatest impact on the economy and manufacturing sector while also meeting the needs of industrial and government stakeholders.
This job description is not intended to provide an all-inclusive listing of related job activities. Associates may be requested by management to perform other related activities in place of or in addition to those representative activities noted in this job description.
ASTM International is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.