Under supervision of the Electrician Coordinator, performs the duties of a Licensed Electrician as required by the Mass. Electrical Board of Electricians. Supervises and instructs an Electrician’s Helper and/or Trainee, when assigned. Installs and maintains various types of electrical systems and maintains all electrical systems and equipment owned by the City of Cambridge. Specifically, duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Installs, tests, repairs and maintains electrical circuits, wiring systems, fixtures, appliances, poles and equipment.
- Trouble shoots and repairs faulty electrical wiring, defective electrical equipment and machinery such as motors, generators, transformers, switches, sockets, etc.
- Inspects and tests circuits and fixtures to locate broken wires, loose connections, blown fuses, faulty switches, grounds, shorts, and other defects.
- Installs and maintains the municipal fire alarm system, building fire alarm systems and security systems
- Installs and maintains various communications and data network systems
- Maintains the City’s street and park lighting, including installation and maintenance of underground conduits, wiring, bases, poles and fixtures
- Maintains traffic signals, including emergency repairs and ordinary maintenance.
- Installs and maintains fiber cable in underground conduits and on overhead poles.
MINIMUM REQUIRMENTS: HS Diploma or equivalency. A current and valid Massachusetts Journeyman’s Electrician’s License. A current and valid Massachusetts Commercial Driver’s License Class B, or the ability to obtain one upon hire. Valid Massachusetts Hoisting Engineer License 1B or the ability to obtain licensing within six months. Certification in OSHA 10 Step Safety and Health Training Course, or the ability to obtain certification within six months. The ability to work at heights in excess of 50 feet from an aerial bucket truck.
DESIRABLE REQUIREMENTS: Experience with fiber cabling and splicing, traffic signal controller operation, fire alarm, security and traffic signal systems, street light installations. Knowledge of Microsoft Office software.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT: Inside and outside work, confined space entry, ability to climb poles, ladders, staging and operate and work from a bucket truck or personnel lift. Will be required to drive, walk, bend, squat, reach, stretch; and lift over 50 lbs. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
RATE: $25.56 - $35.22 per hour plus excellent benefits
- Competitive Health, Dental and Vision benefits
- Vacation and Sick Leave eligible
- Sick Incentive Pay eligible
- 3 Personal Days
- 13 Paid Holidays
- Clothing Allowance, $975 per year
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Submit both your resume and letter of interest by 5pm on the closing date via email to the City's employment email account or to the Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. We are an AA/EEO Employer.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $25.56 - $35.22 per hour
- Dental Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Parental Leave
- Retirement Plan
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Vision Insurance
The City of Cambridge is committed to the health, safety and wellbeing of its employees and the community.
- CDL Class B (Preferred)
- Journeyman's Electrician (Required)
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Detail-oriented -- quality and precision-focused
- People-oriented -- supportive and fairness-focused
- Team-oriented -- cooperative and collaborative