Project/Field Engineer Department: Engineering
OSP Engineering & Mapping Manager FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
This position would supplement the OSP Engineering department with regular Field Engineering
requirements while maintaining project completion guidelines for yearly facility build-outs, line
extensions, and general maintenance. This position would require significant time traveling to
the job sites as well as time in an office environment. The position requires developing accurate
project plans, managing projects from inception to completion, ensuring efficiency and
completion on time and within budget. Communicate and coordinate with internal departments,
as well as construction contractors, as necessary to guarantee project deadlines and commitments
are met on time. Travel to job sites for documenting on-going job status updates and resolve any
conflicts or issues that may arise. Ensure projects are maintained in OTELCO’s project tracking
system, completed, and closed with great accuracy.
Essential Job Functions:
- Responsible for designing and developing outside plant equipment installation, modifications,
upgrades and construction activities.
- Supports Designs of line setup and staking specifications, and cable and line extensions.
- Conducts job costing activities and prices out job components.
- Assist in the planning, analysis, and recommendations in support of new construction of
outside plant network structures and facilities. Included, but not limited to, Fiber-To-The-
Premise, Copper/DSL, and Hybrid Fiber Coax technology.
- Supports/Oversee permitting with State, Local and Federal agencies.
- Responsible for obtaining right-of-way use approval.
- Responsible for acquiring field data.
- Responsible for maintaining all contractor as-built changes and assisting the Mapping
department with updates to drawings.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Willing to travel within and outside OTELCO’s current footprint, when called upon.
- Experience with Google Maps/Earth, AutoCAD, ESRI, Adobe Acrobat and Microsoft
- Knowledge of standard practices in Telecommunications
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of construction services, ordering and installation of the following: Fiber, Telco,
Coax, and general Aerial/Underground construction supplies.
- Attention to detail is paramount
- Ability to read and interpret legal land descriptions and easement agreements
- Ability to work independently on multifaceted projects
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to present facts clearly and accurately in
Education and Experience:
- Experience working to tight deadlines
- Excellent analytical skills
- Must be able to work overtime as required
- 1-5 years of Telecom project management experience preferred
- Knowledge of Telecom construction
- High School diploma
- Associate degree preferred
- Knowledge in CAD, ESRI and Microsoft Office
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS 0-24% 25-49% 50-74% 75-100%
Must be able to read computer X
screen and various reports.
Must be able to hear X
well enough to communicate
with employees and business
Must be able to write, type, X
and use phone system.
Work in a climate controlled and field environment with minimal safety/health hazard potential.
Sedentary, sitting, walking, occasional lifting (overhead, waist level) from floor, bending,
frequent near vision use for reading and computer use. Independent lifting ability of up to 25 lbs.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being
performed by employees and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities,
duties and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a
contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
OTELCO is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex,
color, race, creed, national origin, religious persuasion, marital status, political belief, or disability.