Directs, designs and implements a comprehensive product management strategy. Functions as the central resource with design, manufacturing, quality and test, and marketing as the product(s) move to completion and distribution. Directs the Product Development (PD) and Program Management teams through design, modification, and evaluation of all phases of the Advanced Energy business from product definition through production and release (i.e. Product Lifecycle Management). Ensures that products shipped meet specifications, customer needs, and quality goals. Formulates and executes long-term plans for cost/profit control. Promotes use of new technologies and industry-leading trends to product management activities. Selects, develops, and evaluates personnel to ensure the efficient operation of the function. More specifically, establish and drive strategic and tactical organizational and technical directions of the Medtronic Advanced Energy to meet RTG business needs. Reports to the Vice President of Enabling Technologies and ENT R&D.
- Provide the leadership and vision for new product development centered on the Medtronic Advanced Energy for the Enabling Technologies business.
- Provide strong organizational leadership and motivation for the Product Development managers and employees
- Ability to manage multi-disciplinary teams to develop several products/applications in parallel.
- Ensure that organization performance levels, budgets, skill set requirements, resources, expectations, etc are clearly established and requirements met
- Provide a strong customer focus within the Product Development, Released Product Management (RPM) and PMO teams
- Collaborate with medical professionals to help define customer requirements, run clinical testing of prototypes, effectively react to key issues/changes to requirements
- Directs and supervises PD, RPM and PMO teams consisting of direct reports and/or matrixed resources through providing focused technical guidance and leadership
- Responsible for the development of requirements and the execution of resource allocation, plans and schedules for the development of a market-released medical product
- Partners with other functional groups to define the product content/feature set and system requirements
- Manages feasibility studies on technical/marketing proposals and related data for designing new products
- Reports project status and key issues to senior management on a regular basis
- Responsible for ensuring appropriate level of product testing and documentation throughout all phases of development
- Responsible for PD and PMO AOP and budgets to support growth objectives
- In partnership with internal colleagues, plans and executes strategies for continuous improvement in methodologies, processes, procedures, and technologies. Work closely with Marketing, OPS and Quality for coordination and product excellence
- Participation with trade shows (AANS, CNS, etc.) as required
- Effectively work with Marketing, Sales, Services, QA/RA and Operations to complete both new product development and sustaining projects/activities
- Effectively lead the PD and PMO teams to ensure that projects are completed on-time and on-budget and are prioritized appropriately to meet business needs
- Work with RTG business leaders and functional managers to implement general Advanced Energy product strategy and oversee programs designed to meet the business goals and objectives.
- Collaborate with other functional leaders in the development, production, promotion and sale of Advanced Energy products for Brain Therapies.
- Interface with customers, clinical researchers, key opinion leaders and other Medtronic business leaders to assure continuous improvement in implementation of key strategies and tactics to achieve business goals
- Maintain superior knowledge of competitive technologies in addition to relevant medical, technical, imaging and biomedical developments
- Work with the QA/RA leader to support the establishment and maintenance of site-specific quality systems
- Effectively develop the Louisville MAE PD and PMO management staff, with focus on the formation of an effective team, and development of a succession pipeline
- Ensure that all organization activities and operations are carried out in compliance with local, state, and federal regulations and laws governing business operations.
- All other duties as assigned
- Travel expectations: 10-20%
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant experience with 7+ years of managerial experience, or advanced degree with a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience with 7+ years of managerial experience
- In depth knowledge of healthcare industry, environment and GPOs/IDNs
Nice to Have
- Advanced degree
- In depth understanding of radiofrequency energy delivery for electrosurgical medical devices.
- Clinical and pre-clinical understanding of electrosurgical applications, procedures and anatomy.
- A well-rounded engineering skillset is required to manage an interdisciplinary team of mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, software engineers, materials scientists and program managers.
- Medical Regulatory and Quality System experience: Strong grasp of GMP standards and requirements for FDA, EU, IEC/ UL.
- Strong budgeting, project management and organizational management skills
- Able to develop multi-year strategic objectives and plans
- Application knowledge: Medical Imaging, x-ray, hardware and software
- Strong communicator within PD, site, and across business and sector
- Ability to think critically, influence and lead toward solutions
- Excellent interpersonal skills – ability to work with others internally and externally (customers)
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology, therapies and services can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
We want to accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful innovations - but we will only succeed with the right people on our team. Let’s work together to address universal healthcare needs and improve patients’ lives. Help us shape the future.
Physical Job Requirements
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this position, but they are not an exhaustive list of all the required responsibilities and skills of this position.
The physical demands described within the Day in the Life section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
It is the policy of Medtronic to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Medtronic will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
This employer participates in the federal E-Verify program to confirm the identity and employment authorization of all newly hired employees. For further information about the E-Verify program, please click here: http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify/employees