Under the direct observation & guidance of a licensed Operating Engineer, performs a variety of routine or skilled preventive maintenance duties in the repair, alteration & modification of buildings, equipment & facilities.
- Upholds Kaiser Permanente's Policies & Procedures, Principles of Responsibilities & applicable state, federal & local laws.
- The below tasks are performed under the direct observation and guidance of a licensed Operating Engineer.
- Inspects equipment & facilities for proper operation & working condition; maintains routine records & determines type & extent of any malfunction of equipment & as necessary; adjusts, disassembles & repairs or replaces parts or components, reassembles & tests for proper operation.
- Reports more serious problems to Operating Engineer and/or Chief Engineer for instructions or maintenance scheduling.
- May attend to gas fired steam boilers, hot water boilers & heaters; may make necessary adjustments to assure proper steam pressure, combustion, water flow, water level & proper operation of safety devices & auxiliary equipment.
- Tests boiler water & adds chemicals as necessary.
- May service & make repairs to heating, air conditioning & refrigeration equipment including fans, motors, radiators, thermostats, dampers & regulating controls; replaces filters & fluids as necessary & maintains routine records of repairs.
- Performs a variety of general semi-skilled to skilled maintenance, alteration & repairs to machinery, equipment or facilities as assigned or in accordance w/ basic skills & abilities; & standard procedures, diagrams or manufacturer instructions.
- Performs routine electrical maintenance, replacement or alteration of circuit wiring, switches, control equipment & mechanisms, motors, transformers, relays, generators, appliances, fixtures, alarms, communication equipment, etc.
- Performs general mechanical maintenance of hospital and clinic equipment, kitchen equipment, office machines & equipment, etc.
- Normally excludes specialized & highly technical x-ray & surgical equipment requiring specific training, experience & materials.
- Performs general plumbing maintenance - Maintain, repair & make alterations to steam, gas, water, air & sanitary plumbing pipes & fixtures.
- Bend, cut, ream & thread pipe, wipe joints, test joints & pipe systems for leaks.
- Repair leaks & clear drain stoppages.
- General welding - cutting, joining metals not requiring critical test tolerance or certification.
- Performs a variety of routine maintenance duties such as repair & assemble extension cords, replace fuses, fluorescent ballast's & tubes, clean & lubricate motors & other machinery.
- Clean sink & grease traps, replace & re-pack valves, assemble equipment, repair drape pull mechanisms & related items.
- Performs a variety of routine manual duties as required, such as moving supplies, furniture, equipment, removing trash, scrap material & replacing light bulbs, etc.
- Establishes & maintains courteous, cooperative relations when interacting w/ other personnel, Health Plan members & the public.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- One (1) year experience w/ Kaiser Permanente in the engineering field operations (this requirement may be waived w/ agreement from Local 501).
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Completion of required apprentice test & acceptance into the state sponsored apprenticeship program.
- Valid California driver's license.
- Basic skills w/ hand tools, motorized equipment, general maintenance.
- Repair skills w/ Electrical, HVAC, Plumbing & Boiler Systems preferred.
- Note: This information may vary by each Apprenticeship opportunity & in accordance with Local 501, candidate selected may be reclassified into an Apprentice Engineer if it is an internal transfer.
- Must have passed the Local 501 Apprenticeship test and been accepted to the program.
California,San Diego,Otay Mesa Medical Offices 4650 Palm Ave.
Mon - Fri
Job Schedule :
Job Type :
Employee Status :
Employee Group/Union Affiliation :
IUOE - Local 501
Job Level :
Job Category :
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Kaiser Permanente is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.