Stephens Engineering Consultants, Inc. (SEC) is searching for a full-time Forensic Engineer, PE (Civil/Structural) for the Birmingham, Alabama area. Prior forensic engineering experience is preferred. The candidate will also service STEPHENS's clients in other states.
- This position requires a professional engineers license (PE) in the State of Alabama. A NCEES record is preferred as licensing in other states will be required.
- This is a work-from-home position. Residence in the Birmingham, Alabama area is required. Daily reporting to an office will not be required.
- Professional and timely communication with company clients for assigned projects.
- Travel to/from inspection sites as required by the company’s clients, which may be out of state.
- Forensic (investigative) evaluations residential, commercial, and industrial buildings.
- Forensic investigations include (but may not be limited to) evaluation of storm related damage to roofing and exterior claddings, moisture intrusion, impact damage (tree, vehicle, etc.), foundation settlement, construction defects, etc.
- Prepare precise and unbiased reports based on field inspections and research and consistent with the company’s guidelines.
- Consistently meet or exceed the company’s performance expectations.
- Provide depositions as well as expert testimony, if required, for assigned projects.
- Additional duties assignment by management.
- Prior civil-structural forensic (investigative) engineering experience is preferred!
- Licensed Professional Engineer (P.E.) in Alabama with the ability to become licensed in additional states. NCEES Record preferred.
- Willing to work from home or a remote location, particularly when travelling.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in civil engineering.
- A valid driver’s license without travel time restrictions.
- Prior experience in structural engineering with an emphasis in wood-framed construction and foundation design is preferred but not required.
- Prior report writing skills preferred.
- Must be able to accurately type 30 wpm and be knowledgeable with Microsoft Office, particularly MS Word.
- Be willing to learn and adapt to inevitable company policy and procedural changes.
- Be willing to work overtime when required.
- Must be a self-starter and perform assignments with minimal supervision.
- Must be willing and able perform the physical tasks associated with performing forensic investigations which may include (but not be limited to) climbing stairs, ladders, and scaffolding; walking on roof slopes; crawling through confined spaces (attics, crawlspaces, etc.); and working in the heat/cold.
- Independent yet team oriented and professional with excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to lift and move objects weighing 75 lbs.
Job Type: Full-time
- Civil Engineering: 4 years (Required)
- Alabama Professional Engineer (PE) (Required)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Work from home
- Flexible schedule
- Professional development assistance
- Waiting period may apply
- Only full-time employees eligible