Stevens Engineers & Constructors has an excellent opportunity for an experienced and highly motivated Chief Estimator to join our Cleveland Operations Team. The ideal candidate will have estimating experience in heavy industrial markets such as steel, aerospace, or chemical processing disciplines for the purpose of bidding on projects or negotiating contracts for performing the construction work. The Chief Estimator will be responsible for the accurate and timely preparation of estimates for jobs to be bid, and should have extensive knowledge of construction means and methods, costs and engineering and industry principles. In addition, the Chief Estimator will coordinate and supervise one or more estimators providing direction and guidance in completing quality and timely estimates.
The ideal candidate will also have a client focus approach and will work well independently and as part of the project team.
Stevens offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience, along with an excellent benefit package. This is a perfect career opportunity to join an experienced group of professionals that are committed to providing our customers quality project results.
- Develops scope for bid packages after reading, reviewing, and studying construction documents (specifications, plans, addendum's, RFIs) for the purpose of understanding the design intent and construct ability of the project.
- Reviews proposal specifications and drawings, attend pre-bid meetings, etc. to determine scope of work and required contents of estimate.
- Prepares estimates by calculating complete takeoff of scope of work and soliciting pricing from qualified vendors and subcontractors.
- Manages, coordinates, guides and oversees the Division’s estimating activity to insure the accurate preparation and submission of competitive and profitable proposals, within prudent corporate parameters.
- In conjunction with the General Manager, formulate bidding strategy for all major projects.
- Thoroughly reviews estimates, scope, pricing and assembly of proposals prior to submission.
- Consults with clients, engineers, subcontractors, and material suppliers to discuss and formulate estimates, effect cost reductions, and resolve issues.
- Manages the estimating team in the assembly and submission of bids; assembling complete estimate from estimating team into one document and single bid number for bidding purposes.
- Maintain current subcontractor and vendor source information for support unit use.
- Monitor all contract purchasing by estimating to assure placement of orders within planned buying goals, with qualified subcontractors.
- Research, negotiate and prepare purchase orders and subcontract for awarded projects, including obtaining the necessary insurance requirements.
- Serve as liaison to ensure bidding Subcontractors and Suppliers fully understand the scope of work, specifications, schedule requirements, work conditions and other project parameters.
- Cooperate with Business Development personnel in affecting proper goals and strategies.
- Actively pursue and participate in the development of new clients.
- Bachelor’s Degree with major coursework in Construction Science, Building Science or Construction Management, Engineering, or a related field is preferred.
- Ten (10) years of professional experience in the industrial construction industry, with seven (7) years of estimator experience concentrated in the areas of civil, mechanical and erection estimating is desired.
- Demonstrate advanced computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, Project, Access, and construction / project management software packages (i.e., InEight, Primavera P6, and Viewpoint).
- Possess advanced project estimator skills that include performing engineering calculations and being conversant in engineering nomenclature to effectively communicate with project team members, clients, subcontractors, and vendors.
- Ability to offer construct ability ideas to effectively reduce costs to customer associated with the project, and position Company in favorable standing on bid submissions.
- Experienced in preparing detailed conceptual cost estimates
- Experienced in writing and negotiating subcontracts
- Knowledge and understanding of unit costs and the factors that affect construction costs
- Demonstrate accurate and precise attention to detail.
- Ability to understand and communicate basic construction concepts.
- Advanced organizational and time management skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to manage team of employees and multiple projects.
- Ability to lead and foster a positive working environment.
- Ability to build solid working relationships with project team members, vendors, and customers.
- Must have ability to be hands on as well as strategic.
- Ability to work effectively with all levels in an organization.
- Strong work ethic - results driven.
Stevens Engineers & Constructors, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, genetic information, marital status, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected characteristic or category.
We are proud to be a Drug Free Workplace that places Safety First.
Job Type: Full-time
- Industrial Construction: 10 years (Preferred)
- Estimating: 7 years (Preferred)
- Driver's License: I am currently acquiring this license/certification and it will be complete in the next 30 days (Required)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Tuition reimbursement
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Detail-oriented -- would rather focus on the details of work than the bigger picture
- People-oriented -- enjoys interacting with people and working on group projects
- High stress tolerance -- thrives in a high-pressure environment