As a Mechanical Design Engineer - Robotics you will: - Take a lead role in designing one of the only new humanoid robots in the U.S. and develop life-saving humanoid robotics applications. - Design the new humanoid platform and develop applications for the current-generation robot. - Work in a team environment to analyze requirements from the customer and develop design solutions. - Design, develop, test, handle implementation, and analysis of technical products and systems. - Perform engineering design evaluations. - Produce engineering drawings conforming to JPR 8500 and other applicable standards. - Perform dimensional fit tolerance analysis including thermal effects. - Perform functional analyses, when applicable, and sizing structural analyses. - Produce drawings conforming to ASME Y14.5 as well as support design with standard hand calculations for fit, function and structural strength. - Prepare and present designs at various design reviews using MS Word and PowerPoint. - Produce other required design documentation. - Perform other duties as required.
This position has been posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate's experience, requirements and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised. - BS degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering and one (1) year engineering experience, or MS degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering.
- Specialized experience designing humanoid robots, legged robots, high-performance robotic manipulators, and/or dexterous robot hands.
- Current knowledge of state-of-the-art academic and industrial robotic arms, actuators, and end-effectors.
- Experience designing robotic mechanisms and electromechanical actuators (including brushless motor design/selection/ sizing, position and torque sensing, gear train design, and performance analysis).
- Experience in all phases of the engineering design process (including concept brainstorming, requirements definition, prototyping, detailed design, analysis, manufacturing, assembly, and validation).
- Must have the ability to produce drawings conforming to ASME Y14.5, perform dimensional fit tolerance analysis including thermal effects and to support design with finite element analysis (FEA) standard hand calculations for fit, function, and structural strength.
- Must have experience using solid modeling CAD software.
- Familiarity with basic design for manufacturing principles.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team of mechanical, electrical, and software engineers designing and building world-class, field-ready humanoid robots.
Preferences: - Experience using PTC CREO or Pro Engineering solid modeling CAD software.
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering or a related field, and 5+ years of full-time design experience.
- Experience designing series elastic actuators and other torque sensing systems.
- Familiarity with advanced manufacturing techniques (e.g. additive manufacturing) and designing with composites (e.g. carbon fiber).
- Familiarity with motor drive electronics.
- Experienced in electronics packaging, heat sink design, and cable routing.
- A successful track record of fielding custom electromechanical systems in an operational setting.
- Familiarity with ROS, the Linux operating system, and programming in C/C++ and Python.
- Familiarity with dynamic simulation, particularly as it applies to generating robot design requirements (e.g. torque, speed, range of motion, etc.).
- Familiarization with JSC Engineering Drawing System Manual (JPR 8500).
- Familiarization with JSC Fabrication Tolerances and Practices (SKZ36103755).
- Experience designing hardware and creating drawings for NASA/JSC.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $50,000.00 to $90,000.00 /year