This posting is for candidates interested in a paid technical summer internship at BAE Systems within the Ship Repair subdivision of the Platforms & Services sector. This posting is for candidates who are pursuing a degree within the mechanical or marine engineering disciplines. The internship will be located at BAE Systems Ship Repair in Norfolk, Virginia.
BAE Systems Platforms and Services offers internships in various engineering, operations, and business disciplines that create a platform for your professional growth and development and provide a head start on building your career. As a BAE Systems intern, you will benefit from supervised and comprehensive on-the-job experience and be encouraged to contribute fresh ideas in an environment that encourages participation and imagination.
Duties and Responsibilities
While interning at BAE Systems, you will:
Work within a diverse workforce and functional groups.
Be exposed to and understand the complexity of Navy Surface ships.
Be challenged with substantial work that will be beneficial to your academic and future professional careers.
As a member of the Engineering team, the Intern candidate will:
Assist Engineering to manage a designated portion of a Navy surface ship repair package including the installation, modification, and repair of complex equipment and systems in Engineering, Crew Berthing, Electronic/Combat System Suites, and Mission Control spaces.
Conduct ship checks; attend meetings; read and interpret detailed work items, drawings, and customer requirements.
Gather and interpret data for reports and analyses. Verify source material for authenticity purposes.
Provide support in preparing reports, documentation, and analyses to higher level department personnel.
Obtain documentation and other data needed to help develop procedures for future projects and analyses.
Perform basic and complex calculations that consist of Free Body Diagrams, Compound loading, and Fluid Dynamics.
Develop manufacturing drawings using AutoCAD or SolidWorks.
Typical Education & Experience
Required Skills and Education
Candidates must be currently enrolled at a university and pursuing an accredited degree in marine or mechanical engineering. Qualified candidates should possess the following:
- Knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices, and procedures within the related fields of engineering (Free Body Diagrams, stress/strain relationships, static analysis of forces on rigid bodies, etc...)
- Ability to work under the direction of engineers to perform tests, and evaluate materials for particular applications.
- Familiarity with current, computer applications and technologies in applicable engineering disciplines (2D/3D Modeling software, Microsoft Office Suite).
- Ability to develop basic technical design and developmental problem-solving skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective, professional relationships, and communicate effectively.
- Proficiency in written and spoken English is required.
- Ability to work for at least 10 weeks during the summer, and overtime as required.
- Ability to access shipboard spaces via vertical/inclined ladders and through compartments with limited overhead and/or confined spaces.
Preferred Skills and Education
Preferred candidates will have completed at least two years of undergraduate coursework
Preferred GPA of 3.0 of higher
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. Platforms & Services designs, develops, produces, supports, maintains, modernizes and upgrades armored combat vehicles, wheeled vehicles, naval guns, surface ship combatants, commercial vessels, missile launchers, artillery systems, military ordnance, and protective wear and armor.