Software Developers at IBM are the backbone of our strategic initiatives to design, code, test, and provide industry-leading solutions that make the world run today - planes and trains take off on time, bank transactions complete in the blink of an eye and the world remains safe because of the work our software developers do. Whether you are working on projects internally or for a client, software development is critical to the success of IBM and our clients worldwide. At IBM, you will use the latest software development tools, techniques and approaches and work with leading minds in the industry to build solutions you can be proud of.
Your Role and Responsibilities
At IBM, work is more than a job – it’s a calling:
To build. To design. To code. To consult. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you’ve never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world’s most challenging problems? If so, let’s talk!
Managing Wi-Fi at scale is critical to the success of IBM’s business. IBM currently occupies over 600 sites globally, encompassing 26,000 Wireless Access Points and 500+ Controllers. Three hundred thousand people connect over 1 million devices to IBM WiFi daily. Managing system health and responding to service disruptions is further complicated by our multi-vendor environment. We need to intersect automation and orchestration with Network Engineering and system insights to transform the way we manage our Enterprise network infrastructure and make critical business decisions with confidence. You will join a team of talented network automation engineers who are building software systems to improve network resilience and reduce engineering operational grind. You will work on a range of both new and existing services, tools and infrastructure, with an aim to solve problems and deliver enterprise grade solutions.
Role is preferred to support a hybrid remote/onsite work model at an IBM CIO campus: Armonk, Poughkeepsie, Lowell, Cambridge, Southbury, RTP/Raleigh, Sandy Springs/Atlanta, or Austin.
Roles does not offer sponsorship.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- 5+ year’s experience working in at least one high-level language
- Good understanding of SQL/NoSQL database and REST
- Can rapidly learn new technologies, frameworks, languages and APIs
- Some knowledge of networking fundamentals
- Experience with configuration management tools (e.g. Puppet, Chef or Ansible)
- Familiar with GIT and ability to merge code
- Knowledge of best practices such as ‘secure by design’ development and reusable modules/scripts/functions.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Experience in systems design and architecture
- Experience in test-driven development, CI/CD, unit/integration/end-to-end testing
- Ability to create basic front-end interfaces for end user interaction with tools
- Familiar with virtualization and containerization such as Docker/OpenShift
- Familiar with agile development rituals such as sprint planning meetings, retros and ability to confidently present to management
- Ability to manage and lead 3rd party vendors
About Business Unit
The Office of the Chief Information Officer (CIO) owns IBM’s IT strategy and provides the tools, workstations, devices, and infrastructure that IBMers use to do their jobs every day. Put simply, our mission is to create a productive environment for IBM's 350,000 worldwide employees. Join us as we lead with design to drive simplicity and ease of use, engineering the systems that run the business, and innovating to transform the business.
This job requires you to provide your COVID-19 vaccination status with supporting documentation, where legally permissible.
Your Life @ IBM
Are you craving to learn more? Prepared to solve some of the world's most unique challenges? And ready to shape the future for millions of people? If so, then it's time to join us, express your individuality, unleash your curiosity and discover new possibilities.
Every IBMer, and potential ones like yourself, has a voice, carves their own path, and uses their expertise to help co-create and add to our story. Together, we have the power to make meaningful change – to alter the fabric of our clients, of society and IBM itself, to create a truly positive impact and make the world work better for everyone.
It's time to define your career.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that through the application of intelligence, reason and science, we can improve business, society and the human condition, bringing the power of an open hybrid cloud and AI strategy to life for our clients and partners around the world.
Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are not only one of the largest corporate organizations in the world, we’re also one of the biggest technology and consulting employers, with many of the Fortune 50 companies relying on the IBM Cloud to run their business.
At IBM, we pride ourselves on being an early adopter of artificial intelligence, quantum computing and blockchain. Now it’s time for you to join us on our journey to being a responsible technology innovator and a force for good in the world.
IBM offers a wide range of resources for eligible IBMers to thrive both inside and outside of work. In addition to a competitive benefits program consisting of medical and life insurance, retirement plans, and time off, eligible employees may also have access to:
- 12 weeks of paid parental bonding leave. Family care options are also available to support eligible employees during COVID-19.
- World-class training and educational resources on our personalized, AI-driven learning platform. IBM's learning culture supports your restless attitude to grow your skills and build the depth and scale of knowledge needed to achieve your career goals.
- Well-being programs to support mental and physical health.
- Financial programs that empower you to plan, save, and manage your money (including expert financial counseling, 401(k), IBM stock discount, etc.).
- Select educational reimbursement opportunities.
- Diverse and inclusive employee resource groups where you can network and connect with IBMers across the globe.
- Giving and volunteer programs to benefit charitable organizations and local communities.
- Discounts on retail products, services, and experiences.
We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable law.
IBM will not be providing visa sponsorship for this position now or in the future. Therefore, in order to be considered for this position, you must have the ability to work without a need for current or future visa sponsorship.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, or other characteristics. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.