To apply please visit our Career Center.
The purpose of this classification is to provide junior level professional civil engineering design, planning, and project management services to the city, ensuring the health and safety of the general public.
Depending upon assignment, duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Conducts civil plan review of grading, street improvements, drainage, sewer, and water plans related to private development and ensures that they meet all State and local imposed requirements.
- Communicates with Planning Board, Board of Appeals, City officials, engineers, surveyors, developers, state and federal agencies, utility companies, contractors, supervisors, other employees, and other individuals as needed to coordinate work activities, make recommendations, review status of work, exchange information, or resolve problems.
- Drafts correspondence to the public, businesses, and agencies; and represents the department at meetings with other agencies. Prepares, cost estimates, and special engineering studies and reports; conducts and/or manages records, drawings, maps, and file updates;
- Attends and/or conducts a variety of meetings with supervisors, staff, various city departments, City Council Members and Commissioners, contractors, design consultants, and related individuals to define scopes of work, discuss problems, set schedules, develop plans, coordinate activities, provide technical expertise, and receive advice/direction.
- May perform various pre-design duties which include site visits, data research, calculations, and related tasks; coordinates utility reviews
- Maintains a comprehensive, current knowledge and awareness of applicable laws, regulations, principles, practices, new materials, concepts, software, and methods relating to engineering; maintains an awareness of new trends and advances in the profession; reads professional literature; maintains professional affiliations; attends workshops and training sessions.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience
- Any combination of education and/or experience that has provided the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary for satisfactory job performance. Example combinations include graduation from a four-year college or university with major course work in civil engineering with at least five years of professional experience. A minimum of one year must be municipal and/or public works experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of: principles, practices, and methods of civil engineering as applied to the planning and design of residential, commercial, and public works construction type projects; surveying, inspection procedures, stormwater monitoring, flood plain knowledge.
- Ability to: perform engineering computations, check, designs, and prepare engineering specifications, cost estimates and engineering reports; to make accurate engineering computations, deal effectively with builders, engineers, architects and the general public; operate personal computers and appropriate engineering software applications which may include Autocad and GIS; and establish and maintain effective working relationships with representatives from other agencies, the public, and City staff.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Georgia driver's license. Must possess and maintain a Georgia Professional Engineer License in Civil or Environmental Engineering.
- Performs general office tasks such as answering telephones, typing, filing, and copying.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Bachelor's degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering preferred; additionally, five (5) years previous experience and/or training that includes supervisory, project management, and civil engineering design and computer modeling work; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job. Must possess and maintain a valid Georgia driver's license. Must possess and maintain a Georgia Professional Engineer License in Civil or Environmental Engineering.