Smithers is searching for a Facilities Engineer to direct the design, planning, construction and maintenance of company facilities and properties.
Founded in 1925 and headquartered in Akron, Ohio, Smithers is a multinational provider of testing, consulting, information, and compliance services. With laboratories and operations in North America, Europe, and Asia, Smithers supports customers in the transportation, life science, packaging, materials, components, consumer, and energy industries.
The Facilities Engineer position is responsible for developing budgets and long-range facilities plans based on company growth and future facilities needs and well as overseeing the functioning of all building systems including mechanical, electrical, fire/life safety, plumbing, and waste management.
This position will serve as the project manager for all construction projects, manage the development and oversight of facilities maintenance policies and procedures, ensure financial stewardship of capital projects, assure local zoning and regulatory compliance as well as pursue and secure economic development incentives.
Support of all divisions globally, including laboratory, industrial and office facilities in North America, China and the United Kingdom is a key element, including the implementation of global facilities' strategic and operational plans.
We are looking for a successful candidate who is customer focused, principled and a collaborative influencer.
The successful candidate should possess the following qualifications:
- Demonstrated hands on experience managing large industrial and office construction project
- Several years of experience directly managing the facilities of a multi-site, multi-national employer operating in industrial and office locations; laboratory facility experience is preferred
- Educational and professional background in engineering, construction management, or related field
- Management of a variety of facilities operations including:
Regular and preventative maintenance
Mechanical and electrical systems
Furniture procurement and inventory maintenance
- A record of prioritizing continuous development, including involvement with IFMA or related professional societies
- Knowledge of building codes and project management methods
- Experience handling facility operations and project work simultaneously
- Knowledge of sustainable facilities principles