The person in this position operates an electric or diesel-electric locomotive and interprets train orders, train signals, and railroad rules and regulations to transport freight or passenger trains in a safe manner.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Inspect locomotive for operational readiness by making FRA- and company-required checks and tests
- Receive train consist, which provides the physical makeup of train and includes weights, lengths, location of loads and empties, and cars requiring special handling
- Apply knowledge of territory, including terrain, grades, curves, and grade crossings, in order to give prescribed warning signals and to otherwise operate the train in a safe manner
- Comply with train orders, train signals, radio communications, and railroad rules and regulations to operate the locomotive in an efficient and safe manner
- Observe track to detect obstructions and to anticipate operating problems, as required by federal or company rules; diagnose minor malfunctions and perform minor maintenance and servicing activities when maintenance personnel are not available
- Confer with conductor or traffic-control personnel by radio to give or receive information and to give instructions concerning stops, delays, or oncoming trains
- Notify proper authorities and prepare reports to explain accidents, unscheduled stops, or delays
- Assist with other projects and perform other duties as assigned
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND/OR CREDENTIALS:
- Ability to understand printed and written and oral communications
- Ability to recognize colors and understand visual displays
- Ability to make logical choices and/or draw logical conclusions
- Ability to judge speed/distance of objects or moving parts
- Good eye/hand coordination
- Ability to take actions and/or make decisions affecting security/well-being of others
- Two years of related work experience and one year of conductor experience; two years of conductor experience preferred
- Experience in a 24/7 work environment with exposure to outside weather conditions
- High school diploma or GED; or an equivalent combination of education and work experience
- Associate degree and valid engineer certification preferred
This position is employed by the specific entity set forth in the job posting.
Genesee & Wyoming Inc. and its subsidiary companies do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or any other protected status under federal, state or local laws.