Power Electronics Engineer
Opcondys is delivering the next generation in power electronic devices. Our unique high voltage device will revolutionize power switching in a wide range of industries from pulsed power to electric power transmission and distribution, renewable energy, electric vehicles and many others. We are an innovative company, pushing the boundaries of power handling capability.
We seek to add a power electronics engineer to our dynamic team in support of a multi-year government contract. The selected applicant will provide input as an electrical engineering expert to projects led by our Technical Director.
· New technology development and product design
· Design, simulation, and validation of power conversion circuits
· Building and testing prototypes
· Design and maintenance of test stands, development of test procedures and testing
· Direction of and participation in the production and installation of power conversion systems
· Analysis of power systems reliability and development of maintenance procedures based on MTBF for power electronics and associated hardware
· Document power conversion circuits, products and equipment
· Technical product support and failure analysis
· Contribution to company intellectual property through invention disclosures
· Occasional foreign and domestic travel to attend reviews, visit vendors and attend conferences and workshops
· BSEE and a minimum of 5 years of experience in high-voltage power electronics, power supply or pulsed power R&D and design.
· Demonstrated strong technical understanding and experience in power conversion engineering and provided creative solutions to a range of issues.
· Demonstrated strong technical understanding and knowledge base with high voltage, high current and high-frequency switching
· Analog, logic and mixed-signal circuit design, analysis and simulation using LTSpice or similar.
· Circuit design using power electronics devices including BJTs, MOSFETS, and IGBTs.
· Hands-on skills in prototype development.
· Integration of equipment into highly complex systems.
· Single phase and poly-phase AC circuits and power distribution.
· Knowledge of communication and control theory and microcontrollers/FPGA’s.
· Knowledge of national and international electrical codes and electrical safety such as
NEC, LOTO and NFPA 70E.
· Good written and oral communications skill and use of standard Office products such as
Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Project.
· Demonstrated ability to make technical decisions, solve difficult problems, and interact effectively within a diverse team.
· Ability with CAD tools for schematic capture and mechanical design such as AutoCAD or other 2D and solid modeling tools.
· MSEE (preferred) and a minimum of 5 years of experience with an emphasis on power electronics, power supplies or pulsed power R&D or design.
· Electromagnetics design of inductors, high-frequency transformers, and high voltage/current/frequency structures.
· Electromagnetics analysis using FEA codes such as MAXWELL, OPERA or similar.
· Thermal analysis and design, and the use of FEA codes.
· Systems control using, FPGAs, PLCs, PXI or similar.
· PCB layout and design.
· Programming skills such as MATLAB, FPGA languages, C/C++, visual basic or other.
Job Type: Full-time
- electrical engineering: 5 years (Required)