Position Title Research Engineer
Department Mechanical Engineering-Engineering Mechanics
Location Main Campus (Houghton, MI)
Position Type Staff
Full-time/ Part-time Full-time
Full-Time Equivalent (1.0=100%) 1.0
Appointment Term 12 Month
Pay Type Salary Basis
Salary or Hourly Rate Negotiable Based on Experience and Qualifications. No Less Than $60,000
Position Duration Dependent on External Funding? Yes
Title of Position Supervisor Associate Director of the Advanced Power Systems Research Center
Position Summary Information
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations are available. If you require any auxiliary aids, services, or other accommodations to apply for employment, or for an interview, at Michigan Technological University, please notify the Human Resources office at 906-487-2280 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Description Summary
Conduct research and training in fulfillment of externally funded contracts in the area of ground vehicle mobility.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
1. Plan and execute a wide range of technical projects in ground vehicle mobility.
2. Plan and execute externally funded technical training sessions.
3. Interface with external project sponsors
4. Direct day to day work of undergraduate and graduate students
Other duties as assigned.
Apply safety-related knowledge, skills, and practices to everyday work.
Commit to learning about continuous improvement strategies and applying them to everyday work. Actively engage in University continuous improvement initiatives.
Required Education (minimum requirements)
- BS in Mechanical, Electrical, Computer Engineering, or equivalent Engineering Technology
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
- 4 years industry experience in ground vehicle engineering OR PhD with 2 years industry experience in ground vehicle engineering
- Experience developing presentations for technical meetings
- Experience in training or marketing
Desirable Education and/or Experience
- MS or PhD in an engineering field
- Industrial experience in ground vehicle development
- Experience in development of electrified vehicles
- Experience development of propulsion systems and sub-systems including engines, transmissions, driveline, electric machines & power electronics, and batteries.
- Experience in control systems
- Experience in Autonomous and Advanced Driver Assistance Systems
- Experience in Connected Vehicles
- Experience in vehicle simulation
- Experience in vehicle testing
- Experience in instrumentation including DAQ systems & sensors
- Experience in vehicle diagnostics (e.g. OBD, SAE J1939, etc.)
- Experience in CAN and other serial communications
- Experience with High Voltage
- Prior OSHA training
- Experience in teaching / training
- Experience mentoring or advising students
- Experience interviewing job candidates (e.g. students, interns, full-time employees)
- Lead author of peer reviewed technical publications
- Experience developing marketing materials
- Commercial Drivers License
- Advanced driver training
- Experience operating off-highway equipment
- Engineering License
Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities (minimum requirements)
- Breadth of knowledge in ground vehicle development, testing, and simulation
- Deep knowledge in at least one ground vehicle sub-system (e.g. transmissions, engines, electric machines, controls, etc.)
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills
- Hands-On skills in more than one of the following: mechanical assemblies, electronics, fabrication, machining, off-road equipment operation, or on-road equipment operation.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across cultural boundaries and work harmoniously with diverse groups of students, faculty, and staff.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
- Matlab Coding
- GT-Suite or equivalent
- Combustion Analysis instrumentation and software
- Test Cell control instrumentation and software
- National instruments hardware and LabView
- Open Architecture ECU hardware and software (e.g. MotoTron, PiInnovo, MoTec, etc.)
Language, Mathematical, and/or Reasoning Skills
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands
The work environment will be wide-ranging and will include:
Lab, Shop, Office, Conference Rooms, Classrooms, and Mobile Lab. Occasional travel will be required. Physical demands may include prolonged driving (including vehicle testing & travel), and lifting as needed to setup mobile equipment (e.g. Mobile Lab) and instrumentation.
Required Training and Other Conditions of Employment
Every employee at Michigan Technological University will receive the following 3 required training; additional training may be required by the department.
Required University Training:
- Employee Safety Overview
- Anti-Harassment, Discrimination, Retaliation Training
- Annual Data Security Training
Offers of employment are contingent upon and not considered finalized until the required background check has been performed and the results received and assessed.
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number 19378
Posting Type Internal & External Posting
Internal Posting Date
External Posting Date 08/23/2019
Open Until Filled Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants (if applicable)