SME is seeking a Construction Field Engineer for a full time position with our Construction Engineering, Inspection & Testing services unit. This is an entry level engineering position, with career opportunities, working primarily onsite on Road and Bridge construction projects. Location: Macomb Twp., Michigan
Your primary responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Working primarily in the Field on Road and Bridge construction projects performing Inspection & Testing responsibilities. This position will require working overtime hours, typically Monday through Saturday when needed, during the construction season (April thru November).
- After completion of needed technical training, provided by SME, perform quality assurance testing on soil, concrete, and Hot Mix Asphalt for Road and Bridge projects to verify the contractor’s compliance to the project plans, specifications and related documents.
- After completion of needed technical training, provided by SME, monitor the contractor’s work on road and bridge construction projects for compliance with the project plans, specifications and related documents
- Document the contractor’s progress of daily work on an Inspector’s Daily Report (IDR), and provide measurements and calculations for the daily work items completed
- Ensure that materials incorporated into the construction project comply with the project specifications. Document on the IDR the materials and item quantities constructed using the Field Book software. This documentation will be needed to provide payment to the contractor
- After completion of needed technical training, demonstrate the ability to interpret contents of the contract specifications and plans and effectively communicate that interpretation to contractors, SME team members, the public and others.
- When available and needed, perform engineering technical support activities for other SME service groups (e.g. Construction Materials, Building Materials, Steel Coatings, Geotechnical and Environmental). This includes materials inspection, geotechnical engineering evaluations, structural inspections, sampling, and testing.
- Interfacing with project Team Members, clients and contractors
- Access and navigate SME’s and MDOT electronic file system using ProjectWise and New Forma to locate materials certifications, subcontractor eligibility, job proposals, contract documents etc.
- Develop and demonstrate an understanding of MDOT specifications, plans, guidance documents and work practices
- Co-op or internship experience on MDOT or County, Road and Bridge projects is a plus.
The following certifications/training must be obtained within 18 months of hiring on with SME: HMA Paving Operations, Field Manager, Construction Storm Water Operator, Aggregate Level 1, MDOT Density and MCA Level 1 Concrete, You will be paid to attend this training and cost of the training will be paid for by SME.
Requirements for this position include:
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering
- The ability to read and understand construction plans and specifications.
- A solid understanding of basic engineering concepts.
- Basic computer skills and a solid knowledge of mathematics.
- A good driving record.
- Ability to work outside, at construction project sites, in various weather conditions.
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds repetitively.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to work occasional overtime, weekends, and travel infrequently out of town and overnight to meet the needs of our clients.
- Team Member must have good written, organizational and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Exemplify safe work practices and follow the company's compliance standards.
- Motivated self-starter.
- Punctual and hard worker.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Referral program
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
Work Location: One location