The Controls Engineer is responsible for the design, and the documentation, of customized industrial control panels for Automation Equipment. This position requires a strong technical ability in the fields of controls, electrical or mechanical engineering and is for a motivated individual who enjoys a variety of responsibility. A drive to learn and expand skills and responsibilities is a must.
Primary Functions and Responsibilities
- Documentation of electrical, pneumatic, hydraulic, and cooling systems (i.e.: schematics, ladder diagrams, etc.)
- Work with other members of the control systems design department and other groups to continuously improve methods of integrating controls technology, with the goals being enhanced safety, enhanced functionality, and reduced cost
- Knowledge and experience in PLC logic and programming is a bonus
- Knowledge and experience using AutoCad to design controls and electrical hardware specific to customer project requirements is a bonus
Preferable Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Standard industrial panel designs & components
- Wiring methods
- Power distribution wiring
- Communications layout
- Voltage levels and types and their isolation
- MS Office Suite
- Fieldbus Technologies (ex: Ethernet, IOLink, Devicenet)
- Machine labeling syntax of electrical wiring, components, hoses, etc. and how to document this information in the schematics
- Component sizing and wiring
- Understand and able to apply IEEE, CE, UL, NFPA, etc. electrical requirements and standards to designs
- Interfacing and communication with devices; analog, fieldbus, etc.
- Ability to adapt to/learn new controls technology and software
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently with minimal supervision
- Understanding and communicating technical details
Special Position Requirements
- Requires excellent problem solving skills, with the ability to find ways to work under pressure and still make deadlines without cutting corners or endangering the integrity of the equipment and/or the employer as a whole.
- Willingness to participate in internal training to expand technical background
- Organizational skills and the ability to multi-task, taking on several projects at once.
- Capable of reading electrical drawings in North American standards
- Requires ability to interact professionally with other departments, customers and suppliers
- Ability to analyze problems, specify solutions and implement solutions.
- Operation in a professional office environment as well as machine build environment
- Expectation of an average of 40 - 50 hours per week; work in the evening or on weekends depending on project status. Success relies on dedication.
- Less than 10% travel required for this position
- Ability to lift 50lbs and work in a standing position for long periods
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $20.00 - $35.00 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 10 hour shift
- 8 hour shift
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Troy, MI 48083: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Preferred)
Willingness to travel:
Work Location: One location