Freeport Industries has been the proud builder of the PNE Prize Homes since 2016!
Freeport Industries designs and builds customized modular structures for residential, commercial and industrial clients throughout Western Canada.
We are a WorkSafeBC COR/OSSE certified company located in Westbank, and a growing residential developer, and custom builder of residential, commercial, and industrial buildings.
Consistent with Freeport’s Vision, Mission, Values the Drywall Taper will be a key member of the production team and will provide support for all drywall, taping and finishing requirements throughout the manufacturing and build process.
In the role of Drywall Taper with Freeport Industries, you will be responsible for some or all of the following duties:
- Clean and prepare surfaces and apply, level and smooth coats of plaster.
- Mix compounds to apply and seal joints between boards using applicable tools to create a finished surface ready for painting.
- Apply paper tape over joint and seal joint using appropriate tools.
- Smooth out excess compound and allow coat to dry.
- Sand compound after drying.
- Apply successive coats of compound and sand seams and joints.
- Repair cracks and holes due to workplace damage.
- Cut and install metal corner beads to protect exterior corners.
- Fill joints, nail indentations, holes and cracks with joint compound using trowel and broad knife.
- Tape over joints using taping machine and embed tape in compound.
- Spray acoustic or texture materials over walls and ceilings.
- Finish corners and angles as required.
- Work collaboratively between departments to ensure efficiency in the build process.
- Perform general carpentry and residential wood frame construction tasks, as required.
- Read and interpret blue prints.
- Identify and communicate problems as they arise and take action to correct.
- Follow the company safety program as per current procedures and pro-actively work to develop and maintain a culture of safety onsite.
- Operate within standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Understand and utilize Personal Protective Equipment as required according to MSDS on products being used and material being handled.
- Fill out and participate in JHAs, Safety Observations, Near Miss Reports and Toolbox Talks.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience:
- 3 plus years prior experience plastering, drywalling or painting in a residential, commercial construction environment.
- Basic knowledge of construction documents, drawings and specifications and current construction practices and methodology, is preferred.
- Ability to read, understand and interpret technical drawings and specifications, is an asset.
- WHMIS certification.
- Highly organized and attentive to detail.
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Proven problem-solving ability.
- Ability to work in a team and to work independently.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Safety conscious – able to work in a COR certified environment.
- Construction environment requires the employee to work both inside and outside in heat/cold, wet/humid, and dry/arid conditions.
- Must be capable of wearing personal protective equipment necessary to comply with required safety standards.
- Tasks require walking, bending, twisting, gripping, stair and ladder climbing, entering confined spaces, working at heights, navigating rough terrain and occasional lifting of up to 50 lbs. May require long periods of sitting, walking and standing.
Why Work at Freeport?
- Competitive pay & performance increases
- 100% company paid benefits
- Excellent safety record
- Boot allowance after probation
- Indoor work
- On the job training
- Skilled co-workers who are willing to share knowledge
- Prize winning company with consistent work (no seasonal layoffs)
HOW TO APPLY:
Email your resume through Indeed!
We thank all applicants for their interest in the position. Please note that we will contact candidates if they are selected for an interview.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Casual dress
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Vision care
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Night shift
- Drywall: 1 year (preferred)
- Day Shift (preferred)
- Night Shift (preferred)