Since its founding in 1877, The Fresh Air Fund has provided life-changing summer experiences for children from New York City’s underserved communities.
Each year, thousands of children experience outdoor summer adventures through visits with volunteer host families and at The Fund’s sleepaway camps in upstate, NY. Fresh Air children also participate in academic enrichment and leadership programs throughout the school year.
We believe that investing in a child’s journey through life provides an opportunity for young people to learn, grow, and thrive in our city and beyond. The magic of a Fresh Air summer, full of new experiences and new friends, is simple yet transformative.
The Fresh Air Fund is seeking a Full-Time Project Manager for several Capital Projects.
The Fresh Air Fund's Sharpe Reservation has over 2,000 acres of beautiful land with lakes, ponds, streams and hiking trails through the woods. Located in the Hudson Highlands near Fishkill, NY, Sharpe Reservation is the site of The Fresh Air Fund's five summer camps, where 3,000 children get a break from city life each summer.
During the rest of the year, Camp Mariah, and Hidden Valley serve as residential facilities, where each year over 18,000 people from community and school groups as well as Girl Scout troops visit to learn about the environment. Groups also make use of the Sharpe Environmental Center, the Gustafson Planetarium, our high and low ropes courses, and the numerous nature trails across the Reservation. The Sharpe environmental programs enhance school curricula through a hands-on learning experience that can only be achieved in an outdoor setting.
The Project Manager will be stationed at The Fresh Air Fund’s Sharpe Reservation site in Fishkill, New York and will manage several capital projects on the Reservation. The Project Manager will serve as a project advisor and owner’s representative and be responsible for overseeing the timeliness, thoroughness, quality and budget of concurrent projects from inception through all phases to completion. The position will report directly to the Director of Sharpe Reservation and work in collaboration with several members of FAF Senior Management, consultants, vendors, and the Sharpe Facilities team.
- Manage and ensure Architects, Contractors, Construction Managers and administrative staff on the project are completely fulfilling all aspects of their responsibilities.
- Coordinate with and advise Architects, Contractors, and Construction Managers on the establishment and maintenance of the Master Progress Schedule, incorporating dates and timeliness for decisions availability of design information, procurement of materials and contracts, lead times for fabrication and field installations.
- Provide guidance to Architects, Contractors, Engineers, Vendors, and Construction Managers in the administration of the project documents, ensuring the accuracy and completeness of all documents.
- Participate in selection, negotiation with and oversight of Contractors, Engineers, Vendors, and Construction Managers, and others as needed.
- Ensure that all projects comply with relevant local and NYS laws and regulations including those related to insurance, safety, labor relations, EEOC and taxes.
- Oversee and ensure the preparation and successful delivery of time schedules which shall serve as control standards for monitoring performance of the building project.
- Prepare bi-weekly reports, or more often as needed, for distribution, on all projects underway at the Sharpe Reservation.
- Regular communication and updates to the Director of Sharpe on projects, financial status and perceived level of satisfaction.
- Coordinate with senior management on the assignment of staff to specific project teams, taking into consideration staff capabilities, locations, staff training, developments, unit/architect preferences, timing and other considerations as appropriate.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering/Architecture and at least 5 years of commercial construction project management experience is preferred.
- Competency in the following computer programs: MS Office, MS Project, Suretrack, and Primavera.
- A demonstrated commitment to exceeding expectations in the delivery of safe, quality, cost efficient, and timely service. Demonstrated problem solving skills, ability to view challenges from a variety of angles, and select and implement the best solutions.
- Ability to think quickly, making effective decisions on a timely basis.
- Ability to work with and report to a cross-section of organizational stakeholders – ranging from external vendors to board members or internal line staff team members to the Executive Director
- Demonstrated experience realizing the completion of large and complex capital projects within established budget even if s/he were not part of concept development or budget creation
- Outstanding written, verbal, and presentation skills.
- Working knowledge of contract and municipal law.
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered, please submit a cover letter and resume to Michael Clarke, Director of Sharpe Reservation ‘Sharpe Project Manager’ in the subject line.
The Fresh Air Fund is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring, and dedicated to diversity in its work and on its staff. We strongly encourage candidates of all identities, experiences, orientations and communities to apply.
Job Type: Full-time
- commercial construction project management: 5 years (Required)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off