We are looking for a highly motivated individual with a strong work ethic and ability to work in a team environment. This position focuses on the Civil Engineering design and project management of 34.5kV to 345kV electric substations and/or electric transmission lines. Substation Engineer is responsible for the physical design and construction management of substations. Transmission Engineer is responsible for the physical design and construction management of transmission lines.
Responsible for placing Safety as #1 priority in day-to-day work routine for self and others. Responsible for the preparation and project coordination of engineering designs, economic justification and installation of electric/gas distribution systems and specifications for various projects. Effectively works and interacts with regional and field operations. Performs studies and related activities. Provides support to engineering staff as needed. Performs detailed engineering designs, economic analyses, and cost estimates for construction and O&M projects. Responsible for ensuring the Company’s electric/gas operations remain compliant with Federal and State pipeline safety regulations. Provides direction, training, technical guidance, and resource knowledge to departmental staff and regional personnel.
Level II Applies standard engineering methods and techniques to solve problems; moderate guidance and direction is provided and work is normally reviewed from a high level
Level III Applies a broad range of engineering skills and techniques, leads projects, and provides direction to lower level engineers.
Level Sr. Applies developed engineering skills and techniques, manages projects, provides leadership and technical support to co-workers and operates with broad authority for decisions affected assigned functions.
Level II – Must possess a Bachelor’s degree in engineering (Mechanical, Civil or Electrical). Additionally, Level II requires two years related work experience.
Level III - Requires a Bachelor’s degree in engineering (Mechanical, Civil or Electrical) and five years of progressively responsible experience and understanding in the energy industry including utility electric and gas operations, maintenance, design, and project management
Level Sr. - Requires a Bachelor’s degree in engineering (Mechanical, Civil or Electrical) and seven years of progressively responsible experience and understanding in the energy industry including utility electric and gas operations, maintenance, design, and project management
Key Skills & Competencies
- Ability to apply engineering principles to the development and design of electric substation and/or transmission lines.
- Ability to perform grading, foundation, and steel designs, as well as other engineering functions.
- Strong technical writing and verbal communication skills.
- Strong drafting experience using Autocad and Inventor.
- Prior experience creating and reviewing prints.
- Must be able to effectively communicate, correspond, and interact with field personnel, peers, and senior staff/management.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills.
- Strong customer service skills and ability to provide effective and timely information.
- Ability to prioritize and work on multiple projects and tasks at one time.
- Self-motivated to work on projects and tasks independently and as a team.
- Proficient in Microsoft office applications.
- Civil Engineering Degree
- Prior experience working in the energy industry including utility operations, design, and project management.
- Project management abilities.
- Proficient in engineering software such as AutoCad, Inventor, Risa 3D, LPile, PLSCadd, PLSPole, Caisson, and others.
- Prior experiencing working with JD Edwards EnterpriseOne and Powerplan
- An EI/EIT (Engineering in Training) Certificate for levels II or III.
- A PE (Professional Engineer) Certificate for level III or Sr. level.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States, no sponsorship considered.
- Subject to pre-employment drug testing and background checks.
- Moderate travel (25%) within service territory. Some overnight stays required.
- Required to maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Apply online at jobs.mdu.com