Sappi North America is a division of Sappi Limited, a global company headquartered in Johannesburg, South Africa, with manufacturing operations on four continents in nine countries with sales offices in 50 countries. The Cloquet Mill, located on the banks of the St. Louis River, produces some of the highest quality heavyweight web and sheet fed products in the world. The original mill opened in 1898 and has undergone a variety of changes and improvements over the years, most-recently (2013) to convert the pulp mill into a producer of Verve, a dissolving wood pulp used primarily for the textile markets. With the conversion, the pulp mill is now able to swing between dissolving wood pulp and Kraft pulp based on market needs. With a focus on responsible and sustainable operations, the Cloquet Mill is focused on energy savings improvements which have led to local, state, and national environmental recognition.
Sappi Cloquet is seeking a Process Engineer for their Technical Services - Paper department. The Process Engineer will:
- Assure and contribute to a safe work environment
- Provide technical support for the mill with concentration in Paper Production.
- Partner with area production engineers and other operating personnel to meet or exceed established productivity, quality, cost and safety goals.
- Provide engineering solutions through data analysis to support quality assurance, customer complaint evaluations, process improvements, and problem troubleshooting.
- Other engineering duties include leading projects to optimize chemical and mechanical processes, product conformance to specifications, and product development.
- Expected to complete training for Lean Six Sigma Green/Black Belt certification and lead LSS continuous improvement projects.
- Provide mentoring and direction to department co-ops and/or interns.
Process Engineer Entry Requirements:
- Bachelors of Science in Chemical Engineering or Paper Science preferred, or a BS with 5+ years related Paper Industry experience.
- Paper Machines, Off Machine Coaters, and Coating systems experience is preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and strong computer skills (Microsoft Office, Proficy, SAP, MES (MICS), Minitab (stats), and other computer software is strongly preferred).
- Lean Six Sigma Black or Green Belt certification is a plus.
Salary is determined by a number of factors including the value of the job to the organization, market forces, internal equity and skills brought to the job.
Sappi provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Sappi complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Job Type: Full-time
- paper machine or coating: 3 years (Required)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Relocation assistance
- Professional development assistance
- Tuition reimbursement
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- People-oriented -- enjoys interacting with people and working on group projects
- Adaptable/flexible -- enjoys doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction
- Achievement-oriented -- enjoys taking on challenges, even if they might fail