- Assist in the operation, maintain, cleaning, and repair of a variety of building systems and equipment such as Boilers, pumps, water softeners, chillers, condensing units, ventilating equipment, compressors, generators, pneumatic and digital controls.
- Monitor boiler and cooling tower water for prevention of corrosion and scaling. adjusting chemicals as necessary.
- Keep records of fuel and energy usage.
- Read meters, gauges, and record results to establish a record.
- Change simple electrical components in buildings as required.
- Read electrical and related diagrams to help locate problems.
- Lubricate gearboxes, speed reducers, belt systems, and other controls.
- Perform light janitorial duties in some assignments.
Indoor and outdoor work with exposure to chemicals, dirt,
dust, heat, etc
High School Diploma or equivalent.
One year of experience including operation and maintenance of high pressure steam boilers and maintenance of air conditioning systems.
Valid Driver's License State of Minnesota 2nd Class C Boilers License
An equivalent combination of education and experience closely related to the duties of the position MAY be considered.
The selection process will consist of one or more of the following steps: a rating of relevant education and experience and/or an oral examination (100%). It is important that your application show all the relevant education and experience you possess. This information will be used to determine which candidates will proceed in the selection process. A submitted application is also used to verify the answers to any supplemental questions. Only those candidates who attain a passing score (70%) on each step in the selection process will be placed on the eligible list. The City of Minneapolis Human Resources Department reserves the right to limit the number in any phase of the selection process.
The hiring authority reserves the right to determine the maximum number of candidates to interview from the established eligible list. If the hiring authority decides to interview other than by exam score order, they may select additional people to interview based on a candidate’s education or experience related to the field, work history, or skills uniquely related to the operational needs of the position.
The City has determined that a criminal background check and/or qualifications check may be necessary for certain positions with this job title. Applicants may be required to sign an informed consent form allowing the City to obtain their criminal history and/or verify their qualifications in connection with the position sought. Applicants who do not sign the informed consent form will not be further considered for the position.
Drug and Alcohol Testing:
All job applicants must pass a pre-employment drug and alcohol test once a conditional offer of employment has been made. Applicants will be required to sign a notification and consent form prior to undergoing drug and alcohol testing. Applicants who do not consent to undergo drug and alcohol testing will not be required to do so and the City will withdraw the conditional job offer, resulting in the job applicant no longer being considered for the position.
After a conditional job offer, candidates will be required to pass a medical examination which includes a physical screening.
This position is represented by a collective bargaining agreement between the City of Minneapolis and CSE
Eligible List Statement:
The names of applicants who meet minimum qualification and who pass the screening process shall be placed on the eligible list for employment consideration. This list will be certified to the hiring manager who may use the list to fill a vacancy of the same job title. This eligible list will expire three months after it has been established.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Universal Refrigerant Practices License within one year of hire.
- Prefer trade school training in the HVAC field.
- Ability to troubleshoot problems with building equipment and perform maintenance and upkeep, and to deal with emergency repairs when on shift.
- Must fill out log and time sheets as directed by foreman.
- Must be able to write legibly and speak clearly.
- Must be able to use communication tools provided, phones, and computers with a limited amount of training.
- Must be able to communicate with the public, various vendors, and contractors, as well as customers of Property Services.