STRUCTURAL DESIGN ENGINEER
Engineering Design Center
Zachry Group is currently accepting applications for Structural Design Engineer for our Regional Design Center located in Omaha, Nebraska. This is a great opportunity to get involved with exciting and challenging projects with long lasting customers.
The Structural Design Engineer will be responsible for completing project specific objectives, on time, under direction of Senior Civil Structural (C/S) Design Engineers. Perform engineering duties in planning, estimating, designing, and overseeing the preparation of construction documents for industrial structures and systems, reviewing vendor submittals, and participating in the construction phase to perform observations to determine if the construction is in general conformance with the plans and specifications.
- Perform Structural Engineering duties in the design, analysis, and preparation of calculations, drawings, and specifications for use on the specific projects.
- Perform and prepare structural designs and modifications of industrial structures and systems for one or multiple assigned projects.
- Interface with customers, suppliers, and construction throughout all phases of planning, design, and construction.
- Independently evaluate, select, and apply standard engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria using judgment in making minor adaptations and modifications.
- Prepare conceptual and detailed design sketches, engineering calculations, construction drawings, and specifications.
- Coordinate with multiple disciplines to participate in development of plans, elevations, and basis of design documents to guide construction.
- Provide input to sub-surface soil investigation plans and evaluate geotechnical reports for foundation design.
- Consider construction costs, government regulations, potential environmental hazards, and other factors of risk analysis in all phases of planning and design.
- Understand and apply applicable building codes for various design build projects. Understand and be able to determine applicability of local, state, and international building codes.
- Compile and prepare documents to support permit applications to local, state, and federal agencies verifying that projects comply with applicable codes and regulations.
- Understand and apply standards and codes from industry-specific professional organizations such as ASTM, AISC, AWS, and ACI in the design of steel and concrete structures.
- Specify building materials such as concrete and steel for use in specific projects, and review supplier submittals and test reports from third-party laboratories.
- Apply industrial safety design principles including equipment access, guardrails, lifting devices; blast resistant design, hazardous dust and chemical, and design of secondary spill containment structures.
- Provide Material Take Offs and cost estimates for materials, labor, and engineering to determine a project’s economic feasibility.
- Provide specific to discipline technical information and present to peers or other personnel both within the company and for the customer.
- May supervise, coordinate, and review work of a small staff of engineers or technicians on assigned work and provide training for other personnel.
- As a Licensed Professional Engineer, seals and signs all documentation produced by own work. May also seal and sign work done by engineers under direct supervision.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in Structural Engineering or similar discipline from an accredited engineering program
- Registered Professional Engineer (PE) or the ability to obtain a Professional Engineering License within 6 months to a year
- 3 - 7 years related work experience in industrial applications
- Advanced problem-solving and analytical skills
- Comfortable working in a collaborative, transparent, teamwork-based culture
- Values ethics, professionalism, and maintains confidentiality
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Ability to independently organize and prioritize work assignments and coordinate a variety of tasks and deadlines with good attention to detail
- Proficient with Engineering and Computer Software (MS Office, AutoCAD, 2D &/or 3D CAD, BlueBeam, Revit, NavisWorks, STAAD, SPMats, Enercalc, LPile)
- Understanding, acceptance and adherence of company policies and procedures, including all business objectives and goals
- Willingness to travel to customer plants and construction sites
- Capable of passing safety training for various industrial clients and comply with OSHA 10 requirements for customer sites and walk throughs
- Master’s Degree in Structural Engineering discipline or related field
- S.E. Structural Engineer Certification
- Proficiency with Civil/Structural Engineering and Project Management Computer Software
- Industrial Experience in the Diversified, Food & Beverage, Agricultural, Mineral Processing, and Power Industries
Employee will be required to communicate in person, via telephone, video conferencing, email, oral expression, and comprehension. May be required to lift, carry, and move objects safely
Employee will work primarily in an office environment but may occasionally work at construction sites or client sites.
The above description covers the fundamental responsibilities of the Structural Design Engineer position. It shall not be construed as a complete listing of all miscellaneous, incidental, or similar duties which may be required from day-to-day.
Zachry Group is dedicated in providing a Safe and Drug Free work environment; and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.