The manufacturing engineer position develops and implements optimal, cost-effective manufacturing processes and methods in accordance with product specifications and quality standards; recommends and implements improvements to production processes, methods and controls; coordinates manufacturing launch for new or revised products
- Drives productivity improvements throughout the facility
- Reviews engineering designs and drawings and recommends changes to provide for improved productivity as part of our concurrent engineering process
- Performs cost analysis for new engineering designs to support pricing decisions for new products
- Develops production drawings and planning documents to establish sequence of operation in the production of company products.
- Investigates and recommends resolution of production problems and works with operations personnel in implementing changes.
- Develops modifications to machine tools and existing processes to adapt to new requirements.
- Designs and plans layout for machining, processing, assembly, and material handling operations.
- Performs mechanical and electromagnetic design work on new and existing products.
- Creates concept designs and supports proposals with sketches, layouts and other documentation as needed.
- Analyzes engineering sketches, specifications and related data and drawings to determine design factors such as size, shape and arrangement of parts.
- Uses computer assisted design/drafting software to develop designs.
- Writes assembly and test procedures for new products
- Prepares project reports.
- Supports quality engineering and the material review board.
- Performs regular ECN processing.
- Works with product development teams as an engineering design resource.
- Participates in cost-reduction activities, component evaluations, and other manufacturing initiatives to support continuous improvement.
- Interfaces with Purchasing, Operations, and Sales Departments.
- This position may require design of tools and fixtures to facilitate production.
- Highly skilled using Solid works software
- Experience with Microsoft Office, particularly strong with Excel.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently or in a group.
- Highly adept at organizing projects from initial concept through design, fabrication, assembly, test, QC, and production.
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes.
- Working knowledge of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing.
- Working knowledge of industry best practices.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering.
- 3-7 years industry experience in rotating equipment design, preferably for electric motors.
- Knowledge and experience with electric motor design and application is preferred
- Ability to work across organizational functions and generate results without direct reporting relationships.
Familiarity with ISO 9000 quality standards, or equivalent
- Must be highly motivated and be a committed team player.
- Previous experience in implementing manufacturing methods & tools.
- Ability to communicate well both written and verbally.
MTI (www.mtimotion.com) is a wholly-owned operating company within the Steel Partners. MTI is a manufacturer and developer of precision, high performance electric motors, drives, and controllers in addition to precision winding components. MTI serves the aerospace, military, commercial, and industrial markets with extensive custom motion control components design and manufacturing capability. Current products include a broad range of brushless and brush DC motors, induction motors, limited angle torque motors, sensored and sensorless drives, engineered motion control and automation products, precision windings, and precision gears and gearboxes.
MTI is committed to promoting a collaborative team environment that focuses on accountability, honesty, and integrity to ensure customer satisfaction. We take pride in the work we perform and are committed to continuous improvement. In addition to offering a competitive benefits package, we strive to provide our employees with opportunities to achieve career advancement including those listed below:
- MTI has a job posting program which promotes job enrichment and advancement within the company.
- MTI offers tuition reimbursement to employees for career development and job enrichment
- MTI training courses cover a variety of subjects related to safety, quality, soldering, ESD, continuous improvement, teamwork, and customer focus.
Job Type: Full-time
- industry experience in rotating equipment design,: 3 years (Required)
- ISO 9000 quality standards, or equivalent: 1 year (Required)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Tuition reimbursement