Merq is transforming the laboratory industry. Our technology, humbly stated, is a major automation paradigm shift that is fundamentally changing how laboratories do business. As the President of our company, I am writing to you directly because designers are foundational to our company. Finding the right talent is that important and I trust this speaks volumes about our culture.
Empathy is our core value, both as people and as an organization. At Merq, we are all life-time learners. We strive to be and make things fantastic, always. We are casual but respectful. We are relaxed but move quickly. Innovation and creativity are a requirement and are incentivized accordingly; the inverse is also true.
Design and development at Merq will push you to be better. You will grow in ways you did not think possible, and you will be supported by a diverse group of collaborative and passionate people, all invested in your continued success. You will have the opportunity to be part of something truly special.
As a software developer and systems integrator, you will take a lead role in API selection, integration and development. Your role will include Linux BASH scripting and development for our PLC and controls ecosystem (we will train you for PLC’s), database engineering with design for both internal and external clients; and at a minimum, basic front-end development for end-users. We are looking for a strong software developer; we will teach controls and PLC’s. In addition to the more core software duties, you will, with our support, learn and eventually take a lead role in process control and develop algorithms for parameters like temperature, mass, location, etc. Design duties include general automation and support, and would see you take a lead role in the development of our microbiology automation with particular focus on sample handling and storage systems.
- BASH scripting and development & integration for PLC’s.
- Building and maintaining backend and frontend systems.
- Setup and administration of Windows and Linux servers.
- Drive and shape overall system architecture.
- Build scalable and maintainable web and mobile applications.
- Own projects end-to-end including prototyping and client implementation; on local and cloud servers.
- Writing, reviewing and executing test plans.
- PLC ladder logic and process programming.
- Support panel building, integration; and component and instrumentation selection.
- Use logical and methodical reasoning to evaluate the what-if scenarios in a timely manner and design accordingly.
- Integrate with mechanical system design.
- Work closely with the Project Manager, Engineering, Purchasing & Assembly.
- Ensure all relevant safety objectives and legal requirements are observed for all work completed (re: controls and electronics; we will train you in this).
- Generate documentation including commented code, design specifications, assembly & fabrication drawings, engineering BOMs, process flow schematics, etc.
- Research new technologies relevant to product roadmap and strategy.
- Assist in developing design and department standards.
- Support creation and compilation of equipment manuals.
- Support team in pre-sales technical concept and budgeting activities.
- Must be willing to work extended hours, when necessary, including overtime, weekends and holidays, as project and customer demands dictate.
You will notice the qualifications are simply stated and minimally gated; this is very intentional. We are sincerely interested in real, meaningful and demonstrable experiences; with references as requested.
- Strong BASH programming;
- Strong cpp and Python;
- Deep understanding of database design and implementation;
- Onsite and cloud server administration;
- Excellent experience creating web and mobile applications;
- Good understanding of core web and programming principles;
- Machine learning and statistics is a strong asset;
- Ladder logic programming and panel building is an asset;
- Proven problem-solving abilities;
- Voracious learner;
- Ability to work independently;
- Collaborative and communicative;
- Flexible and agile;
- Detail oriented;
- Excellent time-management and multi-tasking;
- Sound analytical thinking, planning, prioritization, and execution skills;
- Ability to respond appropriately under pressure with a calm and steady demeanor;
- Honest and hardworking;
- Be fantastic.
Application deadline: 2021-06-30
Expected start date: 2021-07-07
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $65,000.00-$85,000.00 per year
- Casual dress
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Flexible schedule
- Life insurance
Masks are required at this time. Only essential client visits on premise allowed.
- Are you legally allowed to work in Canada?