Full-time, Benefits available
The NSIP Genetics Division (Ithaca, NY) is recruiting for a Research Scientist and Project Manager to drive innovation and project success for diverse genomics-based breeding projects. The successful candidate will be responsible for designing and managing specific breeding projects in collaboration with breeding teams worldwide. The candidate will work closely with NSIP’s team of statisticians, mathematicians, operations research engineers, computer scientists, geneticists, plant breeders, and software engineers to develop and apply new methods for improvement of the breeding process. Occasional domestic and/or international travel will be required in non-pandemic conditions.
Nature Source Improved Plants (NSIP) is a US-based company with divisions in the US and Mexico dedicated to the genetic improvement and production of plants. The Genetics Division, located in Ithaca, NY, provides genetic and breeding services to ag-seed and food companies worldwide (including field, vegetable, and perennial crops) through the application of its unique and effective portfolio of genomics-based breeding algorithms and methodologies. The In Vitro Division, located in Tapachula, Mexico, is dedicated to improvement, propagation, and sales of key specialty and tropical crops such as banana, agave, coffee, papaya, cacao and tea. This position is located in Ithaca, NY, a cultural hub to the natural beauty found in New York State’s Finger Lakes region and home to Cornell University.
- Ph.D. (preferred) degree or M.S. degree (4+ years of experience) in plant or animal breeding, plant genetics, plant biology, crop science, bioinformatics, or related discipline
- The ability to apply training or experience in breeding to guide the implementation of predictive breeding technologies in diverse breeding programs
- Excellent quantitative and analytical skills with interest and enthusiasm for innovation
- Strong oral and written communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Self-motivated with demonstrated success working both independently and on a team
- Manage and support specific breeding projects, including coordinating activities with outside collaborators/clients worldwide
- Work with NSIP scientists to advance projects using innovative technologies to analyze breeding data and produce effective breeding decisions
- Collaborate with NSIP scientists to develop new methods and algorithms for improvement of the breeding process
- Attend and participate in research planning meetings, prepare project documentation, scientific reports, and presentations that clearly convey progress and challenges
PLEASE INCLUDE COVER LETTER.
This is not a remote job. Must be authorized to work in the US.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $1.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Relocation assistance
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
We are currently working remotely.
Company's Facebook page:
- Temporarily due to COVID-19
- Remote interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place