Our Company Promise
We are committed to provide our Employees a stable work environment with equal opportunity for learning and personal growth. Creativity and innovation are encouraged for improving the effectiveness of Southwest Airlines. Above all, Employees will be provided the same concern, respect, and caring attitude within the organization that they are expected to share externally with every Southwest Customer.
An Android Developer on our Team will perform the following on a regular basis:
- Design and build world-class applications for the Android platform using latest Kotlin and latest Android Studio
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to define, design, and ship new features.
- Unit-test code for robustness, including edge cases, usability, and general reliability.
- Review code of other developers, suggest improvements, and mentor less experienced developers
- Have a relentless continuous improvement mindset. Be willing to work on bug fixing and improving application performance.
- Continuously discover, evaluate, and implement new technologies to maximize development efficiency.
- Effectively applies knowledge and skills of software development and testing to solve a range of problems.
- Partners with other Technology Team members to provide advice or solutions within his or her area of expertise.
- Keeps informed about current developments within his or her area of expertise.
Systems Development Engineering:
- Proactively identifies problems, performs root cause analysis, investigates information, performs impact analysis; formulates and executes plans to develop solutions.
- Identifies strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
- Understands and can estimate effort and value for solutions
- Understands at a broad level how technology platforms/architectures are applied to automated business solutions.
Testing / Deliverable Quality:
- Facilitate or complete Analysis, design, and programming of viable solutions to high complexity business problems according to user specifications.
- Develop or approve detail program specifications.
- Partner with Enterprise Architecture to evaluate and recommend emerging technologies, and influence technical designs.
- Participate in system and acceptance testing.
- Ensure that systems are functionally appropriate, technically sound, and well integrated.
- Test and implement system and enhancements using techniques that preserve system integrity.
- Responsible for immediate response to production program issues.
- Sets up or follows established procedures and standards to ensure high quality and quantity of work.
- Understand dependency identification processes in technology work, verifies information and carefully reviews and checks the accuracy of own work.
- Establishes or follows prioritization processes to drive work and has a sense of urgency about getting work completed.
- Looks for and seizes opportunities to do more or to do things better.
- Analyze and resolve multiple complex problems without direction.
- Research and recommend alternative actions for problem resolution.
- Employ productivity aids in all aspects of assignments.
- Highly organized and self-directed.
- Appropriately shares ideas and information with others.
- Practices attentive and active listening.
- Ensures that regular and consistent communications take place.
- Expresses ideas clearly and concisely in writing.
- Expresses oneself clearly in conversation and interaction with others
High School Diploma, GED or equivalent education required.
Must be at least 18 years of age.
BS, Business, Engineering, Computer Science, or Information Systems, or equivalent formal training preferred.
Minimum of 2 years' work experience as a Software Engineer or equivalent role required.
2 years’ experience with Android Studio and Kotlin required (JetPack Compose experience a plus).
2 years’ experience with mobile application development required.
2 years’ experience working in an Agile/Scrum environment required.
2 years’ experience working with source control (ex:
Experience working with JIRA and Atlassian tools preferred.
Experience working with Hilt/Dagger dependency injection preferred.
Experience working with RESTful APIs and Web Services preferred.
May be asked on occasions to lift and/or pull weights loads of approx. 20 lbs. on a periodic basis.
May require extended work hours per Leaders' request.
May be asked to climb, bend, kneel, crawl, and stoop on a periodic basis.
Advanced knowledge of software development methodologies, practices, concepts, and technologies obtained through formal training and / or work experience.
Advanced knowledge of at least one required programming language.
Able to work in a fast-paced environment
Culture ambassador and aligned with SWA Values of Living and Working the Southwest Way
Passionate and driven
Continuous improvement mindset
Excellent partnering, communication, and negotiation skills in working with various Technology or partner Teams.
Able to analyze large, complex, and vague Business or technical problems, articulating the problem or root cause, and translating the analysis into viable solution recommendations.
Able to work effectively in a strong Customer service / team oriented environment.
Able to take on multiple assignments, whether administrative or project related, while maintaining a successful level of completion in all responsible work. Able to mentor others to do the same.
Able to prioritize effectively.
Able to develop, present and effectively communicate ideas and strategies to a variety of audiences.
Able to teach and mentor others concerning technical and business subjects.
Able to manage ambiguity in a positive manner.
Must be able to comply with Company attendance standards as described in established guidelines.
Limited travel with potential for increased/decreased travel based upon Technology Department needs.
Must maintain a well-groomed appearance per Company appearance standards as described in established guidelines.
Southwest Airlines is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by state date to comply with Executive Order 14042, which requires employees of federal contractors to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19
Southwest Airlines is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please print/save this job description because it won't be available after you apply.