Reports to: Chief Engineer or General Manager
Department: Administrative & General
The Engineer position will play a key role in performing the maintenance activities of the hotel. Ensures repair, maintenance, and engineering activities and the preventative maintenance program are completed as direct and supports or monitors capital repair and renovation projects.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Along with complying with all laws, company policy, brand standards, the following are the Essential Functions of this position:
- Guarantee total guest satisfaction.
- Display hospitality and professionalism to guests at all times.
- Take pride in representing Duke Hospitality professionally with our guests.
- Assure that all transactions with guests are handled in a legal, ethical manner.
- Comply with Company Standards of Service as outlined for Duke Hospitality.
- Project a favorable image of Duke Hospitality to the public at all times.
- Treat guests, vendors, customers and co-workers with professionalism and respect at all times.
- Complete Departmental, Duke Hospitality, and Brand standards training as assigned.
- Maintain a clean and neat appearance at all times. A complete uniform (or business dress for non-uniformed associates) must be worn at all times in public areas, including name tag.
- Have a thorough knowledge of emergency procedures.
- Inspect all operating systems and components of the hotel to ensure they are operating properly, efficiently and safely, as directed by General Manager.
- Promptly respond to front desk reports of guest problems or concerns. Informs the front desk when action is complete so the front desk can perform “Courtesy Call Back” telephone calls.
- Perform preventative maintenance, repairs, or makes recommendations for repairs, as assigned: of all mechanical/electrical, HVAC, refrigeration, and plumbing systems, all building components and furniture, fixtures and equipment.
- Daily maintain the grounds, landscaping and parking areas in a clean, safe and attractive manner.
- Perform the “PM” schedule on a timely basis, ensuring that all elements of the guest room meet the standards of the brand.
- Perform painting, carpentry, plumbing, emergency carpet cleaning and other jobs as necessary.
- Maintain all storage area, shops and mechanical areas in a clean, safe and secure manner, reporting to the Guest Service Manager any corrective actions that need to be taken.
- Understand and apply all hotel safety and security procedures to maintain a secure and safe environment for employees and guests.
- Keep Guest Service Manager promptly and fully informed of all problems or unusual matters of significance so that prompt corrective action can be taken.
- Perform job duties with a minimum of disruption of the guest.
- Perform any other duties directed by the General Manager, and/or Corporate Management.
- Problem Solving – Identifies problems and reports them to immediate supervisor in a timely manner; Gathers information and passes through to immediate supervisor; Put forward alternative solutions; Works well in groupproblem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics; Analytical
- Customer Service – Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments
- Oral Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrate group presentation skills; Participate in meetings
- Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information
- Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments
- Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentiallyunsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly
- Excellent industry reputation and interpersonal communication skills.
- A ‘roll up the sleeves’ leader who is detail oriented with a strong work ethic.
- Someone who is creative yet has common sense and is practical in the real world.
None at this time.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the associate is regularly required to use hands and fingers to handle or lift items as well as operating a computer. They are also required to talk or hear. The associate is frequently required to stand; walk and reach with hands and arms. The associate is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, or crouch. The associate is occasionally required to lift up to 100 pounds. The vision requirements include: close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is an hourly position. There is no guarantee of hours and there is no obligation to schedule you a certain number of hours or provide a set or defined schedule. This position is scheduled when needed based on the demands of the hotel. While we desire the best work/life balance for our team, longer/different hours may be required to complete the above functions. Conversely, we also offer an aggressive and flexible PTO plan for full-time employees only. You can be scheduled weekdays and weekends. Most often you will be scheduled starting in the morning through the afternoon, but longer or later hours may be scheduled based on needs. You are expected to complete all assignments before departing your scheduled shift daily. Any overtime hours worked must be approved by the General Manager of the property.
Travel is not required for this position.
Preferred Education and Experience
- High School Diploma/GED required.
- Two years of college or vocational training in electrical or mechanical engineering or plumbing.
- Six years work experience in facilities maintenance; plant operations, or engineering services for a hotel or hotels.
- Experience in technical crafts (HVAC, electrical, plumbing).
- An ability to advance knowledge in these areas is essential.
- Certification and/or License Requirement: Professional certification and licensure if required by law.
- Specialization in these trades is required.
Please note: this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Job Type: Full-time
- hotel maintenance/engineer: 1 year (Preferred)