Switchpersons with Cando Rail Services Inc. are responsible for providing safe and efficient rail car switching services. Working in a fast-paced, customer-oriented environment, the Switching crew must work well in teams to maximize efficiency and safety, while demonstrating a strong initiative, and organizational skills.
Roles and Responsibilities
The incumbent works in a team environment to provide safe and effective switching services. Responsibilities include:
- Ensuring safe operation of the locomotive and train movements including conducting clear and concise job briefings.
- Applying rules, special instructions, and switching procedures while operating as a locomotive engineer or grounds person. This includes but is not limited to working as a team to operate switches and derails, coupling and uncoupling rail cars, managing air hoses, and applying or releasing handbrakes to perform necessary rail car switching maneuvers for the customer.
- Providing protection of train, track, and equipment.
- Performing plant and equipment inspections, including air brake tests.
- Complying with all applicable operating rules, switching procedures, regulations imposed by government, the customer, and/or Cando; practicing and promoting safe work habits.
- Keeping the interior of the locomotive safe, clean, and tidy.
- Completing daily inspection and testing of the locomotive brakes and safety devices.
- Completing daily reports, daily logs, and other reports deemed necessary for the customer or Cando.
- Actively participating with the team and providing excellent customer service while promoting a superior company image.
- Participating in training or company initiatives as required.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Excellent teamwork skills and strong customer service skills.
- Ability to read and write general documentation including safety briefings, policy and procedure manuals, and switching lists.
- Physically fit including the ability to pull self up and down from a railcar on a continuous basis, able to lift and twist air hoses, able to secure rail car brakes, and operate both derails and switches effectively.
- Knowledge with technology and computer systems with a willingness to use Excel and Outlook on a daily basis.
- Ability to obtain necessary certification, and pass Drug/Alcohol and medical clearances to perform the role.
Education & Experience
- Experience as an operator or switchperson an asset but not required.
- Previous experience in a customer oriented environment a plus.
This description is not intended to limit the assignment of work or be construed as a complete list of the many duties to be performed by the incumbent. The qualifications are provided so interested candidates understand of the level of expertise required in this position.