Entry Level Mechanical Engineer with Mobile Hydraulics Specialization
Entry Level / Early Career Mechanical Engineer with Mobile Hydraulics Specialization
GapVax, Inc. is a Johnstown, PA manufacturer of vacuum trucks, combination sewer cleaning trucks, and related equipment. GapVax is seeking an entry level/early career (1-3 years experience) mechanical engineer to fulfill a dual role described below.
1. TRUCK LAYOUT.
For each truck produced, the engineering department develops 3D models and detailed shop drawings for body fabrication and chassis layout as well as hydraulic, pneumatic and water schematics. The engineering department also verifies that option packages and bills of materials are correct.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES for Truck Layout:
- Develop 3D models, production prints and layout drawings based on sales agreement and other engineering documentation.
- Develop truck layout that accommodates highly variable option packages, i.e. find a location on the truck for all options on the sales agreement.
- Design new components needed for customization of orders, such as brackets, mounts, etc.
- Hold reviews meeting with shop floor personnel and follow the truck through production.
- Reporting relationship in this role is to the Production Engineering Manager
2. MOBILE HYDRAULICS SYSTEMS ENGINEERING.
GapVax uses hydraulic systems to power multiple truck systems. These hydraulic systems are integrated with gearboxes, motors, pumps, sensors, oil coolers, controllers and wireless remote controls. The hydraulic system of each truck must be properly adapted to option packages then engineered, integrated and documented. GapVax recognizes that mobile hydraulics is a specialized area with unique skills and knowledge. GapVax, therefore, is looking for mechanical engineers with interest and aptitude in hydraulics who can be trained in this specialty. Although this is not an electrical engineering position, a key success factor for this position will be the ability to understand the integration of hydraulic systems with mobile controllers and their underlying logic.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES for Hydraulic Systems Engineering (Training period):
- Working with Chief Engineer, develop a thorough understanding of the different hydraulic architecture, components and systems GapVax uses, including integration with controllers
- Master hydraulic print reading
- Hands on shop floor assembly alongside finish assemblers to develop broad practical knowledge
- Reporting relationship in this role is to the Chief Engineer
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES for Hydraulic Systems Engineering (post-training):
- The design, engineering and integration of hydraulic systems to accommodate equipment functions and adapt to option packages
- Ensure that system design meets engineering standards for ratings, pressure, flow, heat transfer.
- Develop accurate hydraulic prints. Ensure compliance of prints in production.
- Develop of new systems, including component selection in consultation with suppliers
- Create and maintain parts in ERP system, according to engineering standards.
- Support production foremen in hydraulic matters
- Support service department in troubleshooting customer problems
This position requires a minimum of an Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering. This position will require a high degree of collaboration with foremen, shop floor technicians and others in the Engineering Department. The ideal candidate will have had internship experience in heavy truck or mobile equipment hydraulics. The ideal candidate will possess the ability to learn quickly, keen attention to detail, the ability to work with minimal guidance, and a hands-on approach to production engineering. This position will require time in productions areas.
OTHER DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE:
- Assist the Engineering Department with routine CAD drafting tasks as needed.
1. Mechanical engineering degree with up to 3 years experience.
2. Basic proficiency in engineering CAD software, 2D drafting & 3D modeling. (GapVax uses CREO/Pro E and AutoCAD Inventor but will train new engineers).
3. Working knowledge of MS Excel.
4. Ability to design new parts and assemblies following basic engineering principles.
5. Interest in heavy truck body building and manufacturing
6. Ability to learn hydraulic, pneumatic and water schematics and diagrams used in production.
7. Ability to read and understand electrical schematics used in production.
8. Ability to work with shop floor technicians, foremen and members of the engineering department.
9. Ability to communicate technical matters clearly verbally and in writing.
OTHER ABILITIES REQUIRED:
1. Physical abilities (*denotes essential physical ability requirement)
“R” Rarely (activity occurs up to 10% of the time)
- “O” Occasional (activity occurs 34 to 66% of the time)
- “F” Frequently (activity occurs 34 to 66% of the time)
- “C” Constant (activity occurs more than 66% of the time)
- Standing F * Balancing O
- Walking F * Stooping O
- Sitting F * Vision acuity near C
- Lifting up to 70 lbs O * Vision acuity far O
- Carrying up to 70 lbs O * Depth perception C
- Pushing up to 125 lbs R * Color vision C
- Pulling up to 125 lbs R * Reaching O
- Hearing conversations C * Manual Dexterity F
- Hearing other sounds F * Work at Heights O
1. Team oriented (works well with others)
2. Communicates well
3. Dedicated and loyal
5. Safety conscious. Follows safety & personal protective equipment policy
6. Respectful & trustworthy
7. Strong work ethic
8. Ability to follow directions
9. Thoroughly completes tasks, and projects as assigned/performed
10. Observe scheduled work hours, be willing to work overtime, and maintain appropriate attendance according to policy
11. Comply with drug & alcohol policies
1. Industrial/commercial manufacturing environment
2. May be exposed to mild levels of shop dust and weld smoke
- Maintain requirements of personnel file including participation in required safety training
- Accept and respond to constructive feedback and comply with directives from supervisor
- Review and accept terms and conditions as presented in the company handbook
- Maintain positive working relationships with all coworkers, visitors, and personnel
- Direct complaints or concerns to appropriate staff
- Incorporate safety policies and procedures into daily work practices
- Perform all duties as assigned by supervisor
The above list is not an all-inclusive list of job duties. Other duties maybe assigned.
The previous description generally describes duties and the responsibilities of this position. The employee’s immediate supervisor or other management personnel may assign additional duties to the employee as the operation of the facility dictates. This position description may not be modified by the Facility management at any time, with or without notice. Nothing in this description should be interpreted as limiting the management’s right to operate the facility. The facility reserves the right to change work hours, shift, and assignment as need. The initial assignment cannot be guaranteed to continue.