Be a Part of the Original
“It was never about waving the brand like a flag, it was always about the people” – Paul Van Doren
Vans is the original action sports footwear company, rooted in authenticity and creativity. Founded in 1966, Vans has thrived on a legacy of impacting our greater community through four pillars: action sports, music, art and street culture. We are constantly inspired by the expressive creators within our company and community as they bring new and innovative perspectives to help shape and transform the future of our business.
At Vans, our culture sets us apart and influences everything we do. We are driven by five values:
1. We are determined.
2. We are connected to our consumers and to each other.
3. We are inclusive.
4. We are expressive and fun.
5. And most of all, we are a family.
Vans is a subsidiary of VF, one of the world’s largest apparel and footwear companies with socially and environmentally responsible operations spanning numerous geographies, product categories and distribution channels. As we continue to expand, VF and Vans take great measures in developing and growing our people.
Vans is founded on a culture of learning. We take pride in our ability to facilitate learning opportunities by providing the resources and tools necessary to support each individual’s pursuit of growth to achieve future goals driven by our brand purpose.
Our purpose to enable creative expression and inspire youth culture is fostered through our inclusivity. We welcome anyone and everyone into our global family and proudly celebrate an environment where individuality is embraced, equal opportunities thrive, and everyone is empowered to reach their greatest potential.
By joining the Vans family, you will be immersed in an environment of incredibly supportive and collaborative people. We work very hard across a multitude of large initiatives to bring the Van Doren spirit to life. We live for what we do.
Vans Apparel Developer:
Become the Newest Member of the Vans Family
You will have the opportunity to bring our designs to life. As the Product Developer, you will use your knowledge of product development and processes to bring fashion right products with speed to market. You are the link between design, sales, buyers, merchandising, technical design, planning, sourcing and the factories. It is essential that all communication is accurate, complete, professional and with
understanding of urgency. Therefore, we entrust you to develop quality, on-time and cost-efficient products that are a reflection of Vans position as an Apparel industry leader.
How You Will Make a Difference:
1. You will work with Design and Technical Design to ensure technical packages are comprehensive and meet the product’s goals for delivery, function, cost, fit and commercial viability.
2. This person will communicate with sourcing offices and vendors daily (written and verbal) on pertinent design, development, delivery and/or cost related issues.
3. Your unique and diverse experiences and background enable you to provide differing perspectives to fuel our global growth. Additionally, you are inclusive by nature and you value differing points of view
4. Establish and monitor time and action calendars to hit target delivery dates and negotiate costs to meet target margin goals; suggesting alternatives when relevant.
5. You will partner with Planning to facilitate and expedite order urgency.
6. Create and maintain excel spreadsheets weekly, including line lists and inventory reports.
7. You will have the opportunity to communicate daily with sales teams and buyers on submit and sample approvals.
Skills for Success:
Years of Related Professional Experience:
Educational/ Position Requirements:
Special Physical and/or Mental Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Engineering, Manufacturing or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5-7+ years of product development experience is required and/or product management experience with an understanding record of managing product from concept to completion. Experience in the Action Sports or Apparel industry desired.
- Sense of fashion and trend in relation to the Skate & Surf industry desired.
- Knowledge of materials used and the engineering and manufacturing processes used to build Vans products
- Intermediate Computer Drawing skills for technical and construction detail sketches & related art using Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills with emphasis on MS Office software & PLM Systems
- Must possess strong knowledge of costing, garment construction, pre-production and production coordination.
- Ability to handle several tasks and projects simultaneously in a fast-moving environment.
- International and domestic travel required (up to 20%) including by air, ground and overnight
- Willing and able to work additional hours when needed.
- Bend, lift, open and move product and related office items varying in weight from 1 to 25lbs, depending on need.