JOB TITLE: Engineering Manager
REPORTS TO: President - COO
TYPE OF POSITION: Full-Time Salary Exempt
Founded in 1946, Batesville Products is a privately held, full-service, aluminum casting company and supplier of custom metal castings. We pride ourselves on our quality work, customer satisfaction, innovative engineering, and our dedication to our craft. Our strength comes from our ability to work closely with our customers; from initial concept through full production castings. Whether it’s advanced medical equipment with ability to saves lives, industrial lighting, brightening our streets and workspaces, or coffee machines to fuel our energy, the Batesville Products’ Team has a tremendous role in making these things possible. With our industry diversification, our engineers play an instrumental role in bringing custom aluminum castings and projects to market; having the knowledge to drive stunning castings and successful projects for our customers.
JOB SUMMARY: The Engineering Manager will support BPI’s goals and objectives by providing leadership, direction and hands on involvement while managing engineering personnel and projects. Responsible for project management, capital project justification and implementation, production support, process improvement, new product and tooling quotes, design, build and production readiness, environmental compliance, training and mentoring. This position directs and coordinates the work of all engineering and maintenance resources. It will oversee management of all areas of Engineering and direct activities so that approved projects are on schedule, and within quality standards and cost objectives set by the company. The Engineering Manager is expected to be a respectable corporate liaison to the local community.
- Working knowledge and competency on general foundry, molding and machine tool processes and terminology
- Manages all resources related to engineering manpower, assets and capabilities.
- Assesses plant performance to meet or exceed operating plans and goals.
- Working with Senior Management and corporate peers, participate in and develop strategic plans for facility, operating budgets and resulting yearly goals.
- Leader who utilizes lean principles and continuous improvement methods to improve productivity, quality, safety, cost and lead times.
- Plan, oversee and monitor the adherence to project schedules verifying completeness, addressing problems with attainment of goals and/or to facilitate solutions when/where possible to insure attainment of goals and objectives on a day-to-day basis.
- Optimize new product quote and design to improve on time delivery, production efficiency and reduce costs.
- Work closely with production supervision to troubleshoot and prevent issues with products and process.
- Collect and analyze productivity and quality data to identify trends and improvement opportunities.
- Coordinates with purchasing to order and monitor the status of materials
- Coordinating with Cost Accounting for costing standards
- Communicate and coordinate with Operations Management to, maintain and improve process performance.
- Establish standards and develop systems to monitor and maintain quality standards.
- Communicate and coordinate with Corporate Safety and Operations Management to develop safety standards which meet or exceed industry standards.
- Coordinating with Corporate Council develop environmental programs which meet or exceed industry standards.
- Participate in the selection, training and development of Engineering personnel to include the evaluation of individual effort(s) in the attainment of goals.
- Work with subordinates and/or related personnel in the development, identification and accomplishment of their assigned goals and objectives.
- Participate in and foster sound/good labor management relations throughout the plant locations.
- Administer and monitor the effectiveness and adherence to company policies and programs in place for all department employees (Hourly, Non-Exempt and Exempt).
- Administer company work rules, and disciplinary action, and appraise employee performance and recommend any change of status and/or wage adjustment.
- Communicate and coordinate with Operations Management to, plan, direct and monitor the maintenance programs in effect for all facilities, machines and equipment used in the operation of the plant.
- Operational Analytics
- As required, attend and support trade shows and customer site visits
- A wide degree of creativity and latitude is both encouraged and expected
- Candidate must by very organized and effective with time management, especially with key timeline events
- Membership in business affiliated organizations.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
SKILLS, ABILITIES AND WORK EXPERINCE:
At least 15 years of progressive job responsibilities working in a manufacturing setting. Prefer 5 years’ experience in a managerial role, specifically relevant to engineering management. Foundry experience a plus. Strong problem-solving skills, in both an individual and collaborative environment. Strong understanding of machinery, equipment and process flow. Proven commitment to quality, safety and environmental compliance.
Working knowledge in SPC, 5S, SMED and Lean Manufacturing. Experience with PC’s, MS Office applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint along with CAD, Solid Modeling, FEA and general ERP skills. Working understanding of standard cost accounting and financial aspects of manufacturing. Some understanding of HR rules and regulations. Ability to create employee training and willing to act as trainer/mentor. Proven ability to prioritize and demonstrate effective time management. Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
Bachelor’s degree required in engineering or comparable field.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Walking, Standing, sitting, listening and talking on a wide variety and continual basis. Movement generally throughout the manufacturing areas required. Ability to travel to both locations on a regular basis.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- Manufacturing: 10 years (Preferred)
- Management: 5 years (Preferred)
- Waiting period may apply
- Only full-time employees eligible
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Temperature screenings
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place