CTP is a privately held small business based in Alexandria, VA. We provide trade and security services for government and private clients and deliver technical assistance programs in over 80 countries around the world. CTP provides specific solutions or full lifecycle support, including course and curriculum design, expert instruction, logistics support, monitoring and evaluation, knowledge management, strategic planning, program management, export control compliance, and staffing services.
Export Classification Specialist/Engineer Description
CTP provides export control consulting services to U.S. exporters, including the classification of products, parts, software, services, and technologies against the Commerce Control List (CCL) and United States Munitions List (USML), and we are seeing a Export Classification Specialist to support the Compliance Services Group.
The technical responsibilities of this position include the evaluation of technical specifications against the criteria and thresholds identified within the U.S. government control lists (USML and CCL) to determine export control classifications. The essential client management tasks are recordkeeping and managing data, coordinating workflow with other experts, advising clients on technical aspects of export classification, and licensing issues. A broad scientific base and research aptitude is strongly preferred since the subject matter varies greatly and the relevant parameters are specific.
Primary Functions and Responsibilities
· Maintain oversight over new and ongoing assigned clients and their compliance needs.
· Conduct technical review to make classification determinations directly or assigning these tasks to other experts.
· Gathering classification results and preparing reports describing the review process according to proscribed formats.
· Assist the Group Director or other team members with side tasks as needed, possibly including marketing, data management, and the development of web-based tools.
· Maintain accurate daily records of time and expenses, monitoring progress against task budgets.
· Assist with the preparation, review and editing of various documents including budgets, proposals, reports, screens, and audits.
· Assist with, or conduct, training sessions for clients.
· Assist with the development of various company tools such as a Classification Tool, various eLearning modules, the CTP website, etc.
· Conduct team meetings, at least weekly, providing project updates and follow-on actions.
· Broad knowledge of engineering concepts, methods and vocabulary.
· Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
· Demonstrated ability to work independently and resourcefully.
· Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
· Organizational and technical expertise to lead complex projects.
· Ability to work effectively within short time constraints.
· Proficiency with MS Office, notably Excel.
· Prior experience in classification & export control is desirable but not essential.
· Knowledge of HTS & Schedule B tariff code determinations is desirable but not essential.
Educational or Equivalent Experience
· Engineering degree or equivalent combination of training and related experience.
· Knowledge of export control compliance a distinct plus.
Alexandria, VA, (currently fully remote)
Medical, Dental and Vision insurance, Short Term and Long-Term Disability insurance, Life Insurance, AD&D, Telework, Paid Time Off, Flexible Spending Account, and 401k
Salary range $50,000 - 65,000 annually, but negotiable based upon experience.
No security clearance is mandatory at this time, but must have the ability to obtain a Moderate Risk Public Trust (MRPT) clearance in the future if required
Interested candidates should send apply via CTP's Careers Page, under About us, via ctp-inc.com. Providing a cover letter and resume, inclusive of salary requirements, is required. You may also email your cover letter and resume directly to HRdirector at ctp-inc.com, subject line: Classification Specialist
Candidate applications may be acknowledged but, due to the high volume of submissions, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Candidates who do not meet educational requirements and requisite years of experience may not be moved forward for review.
Employment is subject to a satisfactory completion of a pre-employment background screening. This includes, but is not limited to: employment, credit and education verifications, social media screening, and criminal records check.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or protected veteran status, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable law.
CTP is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $50,000.00 - $65,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible schedule
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- Temporarily due to COVID-19
Work Location: One location