Description of Duties/Essential Functions
This position assists in the evaluation of state-of-the-practice published research on state-of-the-art roadside appurtenances, assists with revisions to existing policies and in development of new policies, and assists with roadway safety issues. This position, under immediate supervision, also provides technical assistance and training on proper highway clear zones and roadside treatments, reviews crash data to identify patterns with specific roadway designs, and assists in developing mitigating measures.
- Completion of a master's or bachelor's degree in engineering from an ABET accredited college OR a current Engineer Intern License in the state of Illinois (includes those expecting to graduate in fall of 2019 or spring of 2020). (Note: Those applying with only a degree must have a minimum of 2.5 cumulative GPA in engineering related courses. If 2.0-2.5 GPA, applicants must have passed the Fundamentals of Engineering exam)
- Valid driver's license
- In-state and out-of-state travel
- Working knowledge of the routine practices of civil engineering
- Working knowledge of mathematics as applied to engineering activities
- Basic skill in the use of engineering field and office instruments
- Ability to make relatively difficult technical computations and estimates
- Strong oral and written communication skills
Work Hours & Location/Agency Contact
8:00 am – 4:30 pm; Monday - Friday
Office of Highways Project Implementation / Bureau of Safety Programs and Engineering / 2300 S. Dirksen Parkway,Springfield, IL
How to Apply
Technical Applications PM1080 (rev 8/23/19) must be received by the Bureau of Personnel Management, Room 113, 2300 South Dirksen Parkway, Springfield, IL 62764 (Fax# 217/557-3134) or emailed to DOT.CO.BPM.EmploymentApplications@Illinois.gov by 4:30 pm on the closing date listed above. Applications will not be accepted after this date and time. The previous application form revised 6/1/17, will be accepted until 4:30 pm on October 23, 2019.
Bureau of Personnel Management, 217/782-5594
Unofficial college transcripts must be included with application. Official college transcripts must be submitted upon date of employment. Applicants possessing an Engineer Intern License must also include a copy with application. Applicants not submitting these documents by the posting deadline will not be considered for employment.
To be considered for a permanent position within IDOT, you must either be a US citizen or a non-citizen with permanent work authorization.
Only education/coursework and experience listed within the application will be considered for determining eligibility for this position.
Please be advised that if a high volume of applications is received, the applications may be screened to establish a smaller pool of applicants for interview. The screening will be based on the information contained in the application.
Applicants will be notified in writing to schedule interviews.
- Individual salary offers are computed based on an applicant's current position and experience level in comparison to the posted title as well as internal equity of staff in the organizational unit.
To view the entire job posting and to download a Technical Application, please visit: http://www.idot.illinois.gov/about-idot/employment-opportunities/employment/index