Currently, we have an opportunity for an Associate Distribution Engineer for electric utility design engineering in Asheville.
Successful candidates can look forward to a fast paced, diverse work environment and flexible work hours/work arrangements as well as managers who will encourage career development and growth, including:
In this role, you can also expect to gain:
- Engineer in Training Certificate (EIT)
- Professional Engineer License (PE)
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Technical & Non-Technical Training Opportunities
- Leadership Opportunities
- Mentorship & Training Opportunities
- Opportunity to Lead, Grow, and Inspire a Dynamic Team
- NESC expertise
- Interface with local clients
- Electrical Power Calculations
- Interactions with other disciplines (Substation, Protection & Controls, and Civil Structural)
- Strategic Development
- Expanding a Portfolio of Business
- Partnering with a Variety of Utility Clients Nationwide
If this sounds like the kind of environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
The Associate Engineer will assist in the development of work packages for OH, UG, URD, Make Ready and Street Light projects, and use customer GIS and WMS systems such as GE Smallworld, Bentley Expert Designer and Maximo. The candidate may have the opportunity to experience both office and in-the-field settings at customer sites, and will be trained in customer engineering and construction standards. The associate engineer will perform structural analysis, guying calcs, cable pulling calcs, coordination of protective devices, and calculations of electric demand and fault currents. Candidates will gain experience in coordination of conflicting utilities, and other field engineering design requirements, the assessment and development of design packages for complex cable/conduit projects in dense urban environments, work permit development, easements and ROW applications, and the design of mainline vault medium voltage switchgear, network system design and distribution system protection and coordination.
- Bachelor’s of Science in Engineering degree (EE preferred) is required and 0-2 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with less than 2+ years: relevant experience is either working directly with an electric utility or an electric utility consulting company, performing design engineering (EIT/FE credentials or PE license is preferred)
- Previous exposure to Voltage Conversion projects, Road Widening Projects, Major Underground Projects, Conductor replacements, and OH to UG conversions
- Candidate must provide their own reliable transportation: Local customer/job related travel is anticipated and will be reimbursed at IRS approved rates
- Experience providing estimated costs, development of a BOM, calculating the CIAC
- Experience with design tools such as Pole Foreman, SOCKET, Spida-Calc
- Experience using MicroStation-performing Electrical Distribution design
- Experience with design standards
- Strong communication skills, written and interpersonal communications skills and supporting of customer advocacy
- Collaborative and inclusive of individuals of diverse backgrounds and geographic locations
- Positive attitude
- Ability to work with limited supervision
- Professional demeanor
Leidos is a trusted and technology-focused solutions provider. Utilities and mobile operators rely on our Power Delivery Services Team for reliable power and telecommunication expertise, as reflected through our work with more than 50 investor-owned utilities, more than 160 municipals/cooperatives, as well as a growing number of mobile operators, local utility providers and private developers. In addition to providing engineering and project management services, Leidos works with an established group of industry-leading construction partners delivering meaningful Energy Delivery Solutions. Our recognition as an industry leader is confirmed by the latest national rankings by Engineering News-Record (ENR) ranking Leidos within the Top 10 T&D Firms, and Top 10 Power Firms.
Pay Range $44,200.00 - $68,000.00 - $91,800.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.