Platinum Marine is currently seeking motivated and reliable individuals, skilled in cabinet making and woodworking, to join our Yacht Joinery team.
Key responsibilities are as follows.
- Building and installing cabinets and millwork
- Reading and interpreting blueprints, technical drawings, and lofting.
- Accuracy and proficiency of hand tools, power tools, and sliding table saw.
- Install prefabricated/custom parts such as hatches, marine hardware, stainless steel trim, seats, and other parts.
- Use of epoxies and vinyl ester resins or other adhesives used to bond parts.
- Demonstrate safe work practices at all times.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and goal-oriented environment and adapt quickly to new procedures.
The candidate will have excellent organizational, communication, problem-solving, and time management skills.
- Cabinet Making/joinery: 2+ years
- Boat specific experience a strong asset
- Apprentices welcome
- Strong working knowledge of the marine industry and woodworking.
- Efficient with compound angles, bevels, and miter work throughout.
- Fabrication and installation of teak decking a strong asset.
- Ability to work effectively independently and as part of a team.
- Must be reliable, honest, and punctual.
- Positive attitude, flexible, team player and respect for others.
- Candidate must possess their own hand tools.
- Red Seal certification (or apprenticeship) or equivalent level experience.
- First aid, forklift, or other certifications are an asset but not required.
Reporting to the Cabinetry Foreman, the candidate’s time will be primarily spent in the cabinetry shop and on the shop floor. Our workshop is in a covered, heated building. Facility dress code is casual. Morning and Afternoon shifts available. Morning Shift; Monday to Friday, 7:00am – 3:15pm. Afternoon Shift (10 hour days, 4 days a week); Monday to Thursday 1:00pm – 11:15pm. Afternoon shift offers $3.00 per hour premium above standard trade wages from the Morning shift.
As a Company we offer a number of benefits which include the following:
- Health benefits offering extended medical, dental, life insurance, and AD&D.
- Employer funded Employee and Family Assistance Program, available to employees upon first day of employment.
- Free employee parking.
Platinum Marine is the largest full service yacht refit and repair facility in Western Canada servicing boats over 20 meters. The shipyard and head office is located on Mitchell Island in Richmond (a suburb of Vancouver). With over 80 employees the company focuses on large refit and transformational projects. At any given time, Platinum has multiple large size projects on the go. Customers come primarily from Canada and USA but the company is known globally and the clientele reflect this.
Platinum’s management team and professional staff are vastly experienced. Our workforce is highly trained and diverse. Upper management include people from Canada, USA, Australia, Turkey, and England. Positions include naval architects, designers, shipwrights, engineers, and specialized journeymen.
Our corporate culture values innovation, efficiency, and forward thinking. We support our employees’ passion for boat building with best practices so that we have highly trained, motivated employees who feel they are an important part of the end product.
Platinum Marine’s sister companies include Crescent Custom Yachts, CCYMarine, Milltown Marine Services, WrapBoats, and Tactical Custom Boats.
If you feel this position meets your skills, experience, personal attributes, and you are ready for an exciting career working with luxury yachts, then we want to hear from you! Applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
We appreciate the interest of all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Platinum Marine (2010) Ltd.
11580 Mitchell Road
Richmond, BC Canada V6V 1T7
Expected Start Date: 2020-12-07
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $23.00-$32.00 per hour
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- On-site parking
- 10 hour shift
- 8 hour shift
Masks are mandatory; Disinfecting high touch surface areas every 2 hours; Occupancy Limits in break rooms;
- construction: 1 year (Preferred)
- Carpentry: 1 year (Preferred)
- Workplace Hazardous Material Information System (WHMIS) (Preferred)
- Reading and interpreting blueprints
- Understanding customer requirements
- Responding to change orders
- Performing other trades (light electrical, plumbing, tile and granite, etc.)
- Operating light equipment (Bobcats, forklifts, etc.)
- Managing peers (dividing job tasks, working as a team)
- Managing or working with subcontractors
- Recommending job improvements, alternative methods, etc. (problem solve)
- Knowledge of building codes and regulations
- Knowledge of job site safety rules and regulations (Occupational Health and Safety)
- Knowledge of woods and their uses and adaptability
- Knowledge of methods, tools, and equipment used in carpentry