Navatek has been involved in extensive government sponsored research and development for the past ten years and has become a world leader in the design, construction, and testing of a variety of unique patented hull form technologies. These technologies significantly improve vessel performance in both monohull and multihull craft. Navatek’s technologies are incorporated into large and full scale prototypes and tested in open-ocean conditions in waters off the Hawaiian Islands. We build, own, and operate high-speed, ocean-going test platforms ranging from 16 to over 100 feet in length.
Navatek has secured several long-term construction projects involving prototypes and commercial vessels ranging from 30 to 80 feet and is seeking an engineer to join our team. If you want to participate in state-of-the-art projects requiring diverse, cross-disciplinary experience and expertise, if you have a passion for seeing innovative ideas developed and brought to market, and if you enjoy having a significant impact on results, Navatek is the company for you. We are a subsidiary of a much larger company which ensures that the successful candidate will be provided with a stable working environment, as well as a competitive compensation package.
JOB SUMMARY/DESCRIPTION: :
We are looking for an individual that possesses a broad range of skills associated with engineering, design, and construction. The ideal candidate will have an engineering (naval architecture, mechanical, or structural), design, and/or boatbuilding/construction background. The candidate will be expected to perform naval architecture and structural calculations, and provide leadership and motivation for the production crew. Candidates should also be comfortable providing input based on experience throughout the entire design spiral, from preliminary design to final construction specifications.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE::
- Provide engineering support for the metal fabrication department
- Provide engineering analysis of design, concept, and shop drawings to aid in the execution of metal fabrication projects
- Interface with other engineers and management during the design phase of each project
- Interface directly with production personnel to assist in project execution
- Have a working knowledge of, or be willing to learn the Coast Guard regulations that apply to new vessel construction and operation
- Manage budgets for projects and, including resource allocation, materials/supply logistics
- Utilize computer-aided design software to produce shop, structural, and conceptual drawings
- Responsible for developing ship and marine vehicle design concepts based on specific mission requirements
- Performs engineering analyses in support of the ship design process, including: intact and damaged stability; resistance and powering; structural strength; seakeeping; weight estimation; and cost estimation
- Uses 3D solid and surface modeling software to develop ship hull lines to meet specified performance requirements
- Develops propulsion and auxiliary machinery configurations and arrangements to meet specified performance requirements
- Interfaces with outside engineering companies and provides oversight for subcontracted detailed ship design work
- Interfaces with vendors to ensure specifications are met
- Responsible for design and implementation of model-scale testing, full-scale at sea testing, and analysis of the resulting data
- Provides engineering oversight of ship and marine vehicle construction activities
- Uses computer-aided design software to develop system- and component-level drawings
- Uses finite element software to perform detailed structural analyses
- BS in Engineering degree required (5 years of experience in the Boatbuilding Industry can be substituted for this requirement);
- BS in Naval Architecture or Ocean Engineering preferred
- Auto CAD, Multisurf, Rhino 3D, Solidworks, and Microsoft Office required (Alternative 3D drafting software experience may be acceptable)
- Boat Handling and Maintenance Experience (Preferred but not required)
- Boatbuilding/Aluminum Fabrication experience preferred
- Comprehensive ability to work from plans, specifications, drawings, and blueprints.
- Ability to produce shop drawings and sketches.
- Ability to multi-task, organize and prioritize to meet deadlines.
- Must show proof of work eligibility in the United States
- Must be flexible in work hours, on call as needed
- Verbal, written, and interpersonal skills.
- Good attitude; must be a team player.
This position is located in Honolulu, HI. Employment is contingent upon successfully passing an employee background check and post-offer drug screen.