You’re not likely to find another company like Vermeer. Our people are from all walks of life in locations around the world, rolling up our sleeves and getting tough work done every day. Together. We’re a family-owned and operated company with an unmatched culture, one that is built on the belief that every Vermeer team member has real, personal impact – on our people, our customers and our world. Whoever you are and where you are in your career, Vermeer helps you be Equipped to Do More ® .
1 - First Shift
The Design Engineer Intern helps design, document, build and test new solutions for assigned industry using design tools. This role supports design in production, sales, service, troubleshooting and updating. This position also helps analyze and provide realistic recommendations on structural components to ensure that design meets the design goals and customer needs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Demonstrate the Vermeer characteristics of caring culture, demonstrating agility, customer focused, and stewardship and model the associated behaviors.
2. Help design and detail purchased items, machining, weld and assembly prints using SolidWorks software for manufacturability, cost effectiveness and safety.
3. Assist Engineering Technicians with all aspects of building and testing prototypes.
4. Analyze production issues and assist with solutions.
5. Calculate unknown loading and directions where required from data and assumptions.
6. Develop bill of materials (BOM).
7. Test design changes made by technicians.
Education and/or Experience
- High School diploma required.
- Current student pursing a Bachelor's degree in Mechanical, Industrial, Agriculture or Electrical Engineering.
- Previous internship is a plus.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Ability to identify the root cause of defective parts of product design solutions, including manufactured and purchased component sizing.
- Knowledge in the FEA, hydraulics, electronics, statistics and strength of materials, durability and serviceability of products.
- Ability to understand material strengths, fatigue strength, and manufacturability to ensure that the right configuration and materials are developed.
- Ability to produce accurate, professional and error-free documents in a timely manner.
- Demonstration of good oral and written communication skills.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or veteran status.